Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Which portable amp?

If you haven't settled on a portable amp, another recommendation to try out a Roland Cube EX. This amp is a big step up from the Street Cube, I've had both and the Cube EX is a great battery...
  2. Re: TurboPlane, Safe-T-Planer - Powering through plate carving

I'm the poster boy for the use of the Safe-T-Planer (and now it's off-shore descendants), using it for everything from surfacing rough lumber from my sawyer to finish planing cuts to level fret...
  3. Re: What's the ideal scale length and string choice for octave?

Thanks for the replies so far, that's exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.

I'm 65 years old, 5'9" with big paws. I've been playing guitar, electric and upright bass, banjo, mandolin,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric Octave Mandolin Neck

I wrote this "how to" article posted on the Emando.com website detailing the conversion of a mini-strat to an electric octave mandolin. You could use the same techniques on many different...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian music, getting started

I can highly recommend watching the Soda Rock Ramblers playing O Detto al Sole, a Matteo Casserino cover. True to the original and shows how dynamic and beautiful this music can be:
  6. Thread: dust bunnies

by rudy44
    Replies
    Views

Re: dust bunnies

A wise idea. Nowadays you just can't assume too much. ;)
  7. Thread: dust bunnies

by rudy44
    Replies
    Views

Re: dust bunnies

Ditto.

You can pour in a half pound of white rice and shake it around to clean up an instrument with dirt problems.

Shake it out carefully and you'll have a clean mandolin.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 24" scale length

Most definitely.

My octave was made by modifying a Taylor GS Mini (23-1/2" scale) neck (someone had the "neck only" on Reverb) and attaching to a 40's Kay arch top guitar body. The tone is great...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 24" scale length

I have a 23-1/2" scale octave on which I use .011", .022", .034", and .044". strings. I picked the guages to be easy multiples of 11 so they would be easy to remember, although I had to bump the D...
  10. Thread: Holey Galahad

by rudy44
    Replies
    Views

Re: Holey Galahad

Exactly how I use mine, but no gloves. I don't feel I'm in any particular peril as long as I have both hands in the proper places on the angle grinder. I also use mine with a momentary foot switch...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Digital mandolin plans/drawings

I've used DesignCAD2D for years for all sorts of drawings. I used to produce full size construction prints for musical instruments and used to provide them in pdf form for end users, but had to halt...
  12. Thread: Fret saws

by rudy44
    Replies
    Views

Re: Fret saws

I also had an early StuMac fret slotting saw that promptly went to the circular file.
    I use a small screw slotting circular blade (available from McMaster Carr) fitted to a small sliding mitre saw...
  13. Re: Piezo Pickup Build Notes and double sided tape Question

When I was experimenting a lot with piezo discs I found that the only way to eliminate induced hum was to shield the sensor side of the disc, too. I cut brass to shape and soldered it to a bit of...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheapest Option for a Mandola

You'll be missing both the effect of doubled strings AND the jangle of steel strings. If you want to hear what nylon doubles sound like, here's my first "low tuned mando" made by converting a cheap...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin strings

I buy the bulk sleeves or a dozen individual Phosphor Bronze (and un-wound single strings) from Musician's Friend for my octave; cheap and free shipping!

My octave has a tailpiece that uses ball...
  16. Kay guitar body + Taylor GS Mini neck = Octave Mandolin

Hi All,
    I don't post often, only if I have something significant to add. Here's a new Octave Mandolin done as a conversion of an old Kay body and adding a 23-1/2" scale length Taylor GS Mini neck. ...
  17. Thread: pick box

by rudy44
    Replies
    Views

Re: pick box

I use these Rubbermaid storage containers. I cut the height down so the just clear my tallest item (tuner) with the lid on. The lid doesn't fit as nicely once it's trimmed down, but that...