Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a C2 chord?

The common usage is C2 is not the same as Csus2. The sus omits the third. The 2 or add9 keeps the third. Ex.: C2 = C D E G; Csus2 = C D G
  2. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday, Jim Simpson

10-4 Good Buddy! I still miss jamming with you at Sellersville. Many happy returns!

Jim
  3. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Jim Simpson

10-4, Good Buddy. Many happy returns. I still miss jamming with the old crowd in Sellersville.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Help With A Couple Chords

Your chords, in order are: Bm A G F#sus4 Em F#7
    Bridge: G D Em F#
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: A New Pick For Slick?

Blue Chip's nomenclature is in 1000ths of an inch, whereas most picks are gauged by the millimeter. The TP48 is around 1.22 mm thick, which is pretty much an extra heavy. The 60 is ~ 1.5 mm and the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: G(I) chop to 3 or 4-finger D(V) chop?

In the key of G, I find these shapes work best 98% of the time:
    G - 7523
    C - 523x
    D - 245x

If D is my I chord, I'll use 745x.

I do not like the 4 finger D chop - 2 roots and 2 thirds sounds...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: I Don't Do Tab

Guitar player for 55 years, mandolin for 15. I didn't have tabs either when I first started, but I would never reject a method or technique which could increase my proficiency at my instrument. All...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Strum, chop, mute?

If you aren't doing so, you should play chop chords rather than a muted strum. Same space isn't so much the problem as the fact that you could get the same effect by whacking a table with a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: I-IV-V Chords?

No.
  10. Replies
    Views

When you harmonize the major scale, that is, play the three note chord (triad) with each scale note as the root, the only chords which are major are the I,IV and V. This should cause us to realize...
  11. Replies
    Views

Like the late, great John McGann said and which I use for my signature, "Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"
  12. Thread: Picks

by Jim Broyles
    Replies
    Views

Re: Picks

Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm rounded triangle. My favorite mandolin pick. Fender 346 Extra heavy in white is a decent second choice. Yes, the white sounds better than any other color. 😉
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Chopping to a metronome

Watch videos of Bill Monroe. He is clearly chopping a lot of the time but his right hand moves in 8/8 A LOT of the time when you can only hear the chop on the back beats. I disagree that this...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic question

G major pentatonic scale: G A B D E

G major chord: G B D
    C major chord: C E G
    D major chord: D F# A

The penta scale has at least two notes in common with each chord, so if you structure your...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What mando chords are these?

Seventh seems to be the only degree with such anomalytical (my own word) properties. With no modifier it means "Flat 7." If you don't alter it, you call it "Major 7th." If a chord is a "minor 7th"...
  16. Replies
    Views

Didn't mean to imply that you are wrong, just what my experience has been. No wonder the music/instrument forums are replete with theory discussions! :cool:
  17. Replies
    Views

In my experience, a stand-alone + means augmented; it isn't shorthand for +5. It means #5. To raise a note we use #. In jazz, even the raised 5th is call 'sharp" as in C7#9#5. Also, 'b' can mean...
  18. Replies
    Views

I also believe, (and practice) that the + only means augmented, and if I want a raised anything other than the 5th, I call it '#', as in E7#9, not E7+9.
  19. Replies
    Views

The problem with these chord names is that there's no universal nomenclature, so you get 2, add2, add9. You'll also sometimes see 'sus' when they still want the third. On paper it's even worse...
  20. Replies
    Views

My guess is the guy wanted (2) or add9 chords. You could play them like this:

Gadd9: 0025

Aadd9: 4745 or 2247

Em(2) (which I would simply call Em9): 0022
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: keys that don't sound good

I know you're kidding, but for the uninitiated, the 11th is really not a sus4. In an 11th chord, there will be a third, thus, it isn't suspended, although the 11 is the same note as the 4. FWIW, an...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: keys that don't sound good

My guess is that the nut slots are too shallow. If they are not deep enough, the strings will pull sharp in the first position. I don't have the link handy, but if you go to frets.com, there is a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Why keys of B and B flat?

I learned something about my own singing about ten years ago when I was a regular attender at a fairly high-level bluegrass jam. I have a baritone singing voice and I can't get that high as a rule,...
  24. Thread: A7 Chord

by Jim Broyles
    Replies
    Views

Re: A7 Chord

I wish music sites would not include A7/C# = A7/Db. Yes, the notes sound the same, but the note in the A major scale is C#. Since this is the theory forum, I call on all of us to use theoretically...
  25. Thread: A7 Chord

by Jim Broyles
    Replies
    Views

Re: A7 Chord

What grip are you using for the A7?
    I like to play x545 for an A7, depending on where I'm going. You could play 0245, putting the 7th on the bottom, which may work for you. Otherwise, just...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4