Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Musician quotes

A jazz musician has to be a working class of man, out in the open all the time, healthy and strong. That's what's wrong today: these guys haven't got the force. They don't like to play all night:...
  2. Re: Two interesting instruments at Bernunzio's

Video of the Gelas mandocello:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5lNRQbr8g4
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: bohman mandolins

[QUOTE=your_diamond;1746217]Looks like he sold the Bohman guitar mentioned in the last paragraph. Can't find it anywhere.[/QUOTE

The guitar is still for sale on Reverb. I just got busy over the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gelas mandolin family at Bernunzio's

Gosh guys I guess I'm totally busted! Not sure if I’m breaking some rule by participating in this thread, but in full disclosure, the Gelas set is actually mine that I put on consignment with John. ...
  5. Replies
    Views

The Gelas Hawaiian Guitar is dated 1920. Apparently the Hawaiian music fad was hitting Europe not long after the US mainland.

On a related note, Joseph Kekeku was born in Oahu in 1874 and is...
  6. Replies
    Views

Here's a link to the set. https://bernunzio.com/product/gelas-family-26142/

Each item is also photographed and described separately.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: H5 Mandola Case question

The outside dimensions of the H5 case are about 31 3/4" x 13 x 5 1/8"
  8. Replies
    Views

Yes Paganoni did the relining. Really nice work.
  9. Replies
    Views

Here it was before it was relined.
  10. Replies
    Views

Here is a 1924 H5 rectangular case, original but was relined a couple years ago.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Down the Tenor Rabbit Hole... (Help)

It probably depends a lot on the individual instrument as far as which one will give you the sound you want in octave versus tenor tuning. Here's a video link to a Gibson TG-00 tuned down to an A...
  12. Re: Larson Harp Mandolin on Antiques Road Show

I thought the guy was way too harsh on the Larson mandolin. He said that they are largely decorative, and no one would buy it for the sound. I've played a couple of these that sounded great, and...
  13. Re: 1904 Vinaccia Liuto Cantabile (mandocello/octave mandola)

I notice that in Mandolin Memories, Adelstein calls Raffaele Calace "the greatest luteist in the world". I would have loved to hear those two jam!

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com
  14. Re: 1904 Vinaccia Liuto Cantabile (mandocello/octave mandola)

There are actually two pieces both by Raffaele Calace, Piccolo Serenata Opus 115 at 3:50 and Barcarola Opus 116 at 8:18. Calace wrote a lot of music for solo liuto cantabile, some of it very...
  15. 1904 Vinaccia Liuto Cantabile (mandocello/octave mandola)

I decided to post a video playing a 1904 Vinaccia Liuto Cantabile, five pairs of strings tuned CGDAE, 23 flamed maple ribs, 22 1/2" scale length, set up with Thomastik strings.
  16. Bach Cello Suite 3 (played on 1916 Gibson K4 Mandocello)

I decided to make a video of the complete Bach Cello Suite No. 3. C major is obviously a great key for mandocello and even without the bowing patterns and vibrato of an actual cello, it’s still a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: circa 1890 Henry C. Dobson Banjo

some photos too...
  18. Replies
    Views

circa 1890 Henry C. Dobson Banjo

This week’s unusual instrument is a circa 1890 Henry C. Dobson Banjo with a small 9” head and short 22 ¼” scale length. This banjo is equipped with Dobson’s classic doughnut shaped tone ring, bar...
  19. Replies
    Views

circa 1920 Stahl Mandocello

This week’s unusual instrument is a circa 1920 Stahl Mandocello built by the Larson Brothers in Chicago. In the video I mistakenly state that the scale length is 24 ¼” However, the scale length is...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: circa 1895 Luscomb Banjeaurine

some photos too...

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com
  21. Replies
    Views

circa 1895 Luscomb Banjeaurine

This week’s unusual instrument is a circa 1895 Luscomb Banjeaurine. This banjo has a metal rim with a wooden tone ring. It has a short scale length of 19 ½” and is tuned a fourth higher (C5, F3,...
  22. Replies
    Views

1916 Gibson K4 Mandocello

This week’s unusual instrument is a 1916 Gibson K4 Mandocello. This is an exceptionally fine sounding and playing example with a 24 ¾ scale length, no truss rod and Handel tuners. For some reason...
  23. Re: circa 1934 Prairie State (Larson Brothers) Four String Guitar

Some images of the laminated bracing and internal metal rods on the Prairie State...
  24. circa 1934 Prairie State (Larson Brothers) Four String Guitar

This week's unusual instrument is a c1934 Prairie State (Larson Brothers) Four String Guitar. 25 ¼” scale length could be tuned as a plectrum, tenor or like the bottom four strings of a regular...
  25. c1910 Fairbanks Vega Whyte Laydie No. 2 Banjorine (banjeaurine)

This week's unusual instrument is a circa 1910 Fairbanks Vega Whyte Laydie No. 2 Banjorine. Vega used the spelling "banjorine" while SS Stewart who is credited with developing the instrument spelled...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3