Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Monteleone F5 - #4 of his original 10 Loar copies

I realize this is an old thread, but here is some information on one of the F-5's

I am not sure how many F-5's were made before the GA was released but heard that he did both for awhile.

There...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: This is incredible...

One of the silliest debates to have, and I've been guilty of it myself many times, is arguing about who is better: a current musical virtuoso or a historical virtuoso from 200 years ago whom none of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The other search continues

z0d8tnamzd4&index=4&list=RDR8qIseFg77Q

Another vote for Thile and Davis. Traditional but with a modern twist.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar Photo Courtesy of JR

For a mondolin player at home such decisions may be easy. To me, matters are way more complicated. I prefer to think of those instruments as pieces of art, as monuments. They may be your own, but at...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Differences among music genres?

This can be a real tough subject. On one hand we do not want to see particular music styles like jazz or bluegrass so watered down they become meaningless. Country has pretty much been destroyed...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon Photos

Dave was labeled the "Master of the Mandolin" during his career. If you had to make a family tree out of this it would pretty simple: Apollon - Burns - Grisman - Thile. All others fit in-between...
  7. Thread: Prince - R.I.P.

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Prince - R.I.P.

Just an incredible guitar solo:

6SFNW5F8K9Y
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sir George Martin passes.

It is very sad to lose such a great creative talent, and such a wonderful man with an amazing sense of humor. I had the great privilege of knowing him personally, and got to spend a good bit of time...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: didn't know Vince Gill played mandolin

Well stated sir! Vince is the REAL deal! And ........ as modest as they come. A rare gift indeed.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Fern Top Wood

Absolutely Ken!! My understanding is Gibson was experimenting with lacquer finishes sometime in 1924 which they implemented by 1925. As far as red spruce goes, it seems to have been quite plentiful...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: To pick guard or not to pick guard

And that is what a pickguard is really for, on both archtop mandolins and guitars - to act as a spacer for the unplanted, unposted picking hand, which just lightly touches the pickguard for spacing...
  12. Re: Graduations for A-style oval hole mandolin

13. Replies
    Views

Re: Snakehead H-2 mandola?

Well..... this is one damned fine mandola; if Gibson made them all like this, they would have sold 1000s of them and I would own one....and play it every day.

I did not check it with a black...
  14. Re: History of the Geib Musical Instrument Case Company

Absolutely, especially since the name is of German origin.