Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando and Fiddle duo's

There was, and probably still is, on youtube a long video of Mike Compton and a fiddler whose name I do not remember playing old time tunes one after the other.

I have not been able to find that...
  2. Replies
    Views

https://youtu.be/D7N9qnFQU5E?si=BMCfJQZ81hBqYlSG
  3. Replies
    Views

https://www.youtube.com/live/zRLxi0ZHQ_o?si=yIrlYDgboRqOFvuV
  4. Re: Post a picture of your Blue Grass jam you attend

Don't have a picture, but when I went searching for any of the videos someone was taking with his tablet at the monthly jam I went to last week I found this:
  5. Re: Who is a member/board member of a local BG/OT/Folk Society?

I'm a trustee of the Bluegrass and Oldtime Music Association of NJ (BOTMA, one of dozens the US). We have had our ups and down over the years, recently reeling from the pandemic and members just...
  6. Re: Who is a member/board member of a local BG/OT/Folk Society?

My sweetheart and I together have run and sometimes performed at a folk club. The institution that we performed in provided coffee and snacks. We took out a few dollars for promotion costs, then the...
  7. Re: Who is a member/board member of a local BG/OT/Folk Society?

We have a great old time community here in S.W. Wisconsin. We have monthly square dances, and have for 30 years. Band is open and we usually have 3 or 4 callers. We charge a couple bucks to pay for...
  8. Re: Best mandolin video courses - Homespun or Peghead?

In my experience, it's Artistworks > Peghead Nation > Homespun.

Mike Marshall's Artistworks course is more comprehensive than Sierra Hull's (he's been doing it a lot longer) and has more...
  9. Replies
    Views

Sam Grisman Project - Friend Of The Devil

The title says it all :-).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVMw1pSV3s
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-50?

Yeah, they were rather heavy in those days, the best are the 33-35ish A-50's with the elevated board! "IMHO-For awhile I thought 35 was the only year for the F-hole elevated board A-50's but I scored...
  11. Replies
    Views

When I was first starting out on mandolin I bought a '60's Gibson A-50 on eBay for $500 - I blame the influence of "brand recognition" as I was a long time guitar player who'd had some nice Gibson...
  12. Thread: Gibson A-50?

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

We don't see many A-50's in my corner of the world. I've only played a few, and most of those were unimpressive.

However, I do remember playing one about 35 years ago that was a pretty good...
  13. Thread: Gibson A-50?

by NickR
    Replies
    Views

The mandolin has lost its original tuners which would help date it but 1950s is very likely and it is an A-50. Those Japanese tuners seem to be on upside down for reasons best known to whoever put...
  14. Replies
    Views

I had one once, worst mandolin I ever owned, the retailer refunded me and apologised.

Dave H
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Herschel Sizemore passes

here is a fairly recent interview with Herschel, by Christopher Henry.... It could be as recent as a month or two ago...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYuOSyZCn9Q
    John D
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Herschel Sizemore passes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPJR2RX2giA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmR-IKSuWLk
  17. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

Along with Charlie's story ...

Five years ago at Swannanoa, I met a banjo player, now a good long-distance buddy, whose brother had bought a pre-Loar Gibson A at a garage sale for $50. No, I...
  18. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

All good thoughts above. I'll just add my experience.

After one cheesy and two good mandos, I came around to your way of thinking and thought the right axe for me could be a twenties Gibson oval....
  19. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

Well, my A Jr. was the first "good" mandolin purchased when I got serious about playing a few years ago. Am quite happy with it and have had a number of players I respect state that it's an excellent...
  20. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie, as they say. The '23 Snakehead just up in the classifieds will set you back probably ~$7k if you pay the asking price and (insured) shipping. :disbelief:
  21. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

Jumping in! I have a 1923 A2 paddle-head that is incredible. It has the pointy V shaped neck and the wider flat fretboard that ! would ordinarily pass on but once I start playing it nothing seems to...
  22. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

It was just dumb luck in my case. I bought my '06 on eBay for less than $1K only because I could return it if I wasn't satisfied. It was found in a Cali closet wrapped in towels. Definitely loved and...
  23. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

I will vouch for Marcus' statement. If you find one that really sings, then you've found a treasure. It is worth the extra care in the search, and playing it if you can.
  24. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

That's a hot lookin' mando. Big fat frets too.
  25. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

Personally, if you are sticking to vintage Gibson, I would go for a pre-Loar like 1920-21. I have played a bunch of A's and F's in that era and have yet to play one that wasn't a desirable...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4