Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bringing a Mandolin on a long trip

I take the mandolin I like playing everywhere. Does it show, yes. I play gigs in hot humid weather and the varnish finish shows it's wear. The finish is worn off the neck along with most of the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Duff engraving probably Machine ?

This TP is from my 2002 Duff H-5 mandola. They look very similar to my eyes (especially in person, mine has much more chrome plating). It is beautiful engraving for sure, I would guess...
  3. Replies
    Views

You could email Paul.
    https://www.duffmandolins.com/
  4. Replies
    Views

Looks like it's been played a bunch. I like that. If you have a dental mirror look inside, you will easily be able to tell if it is X braced.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I have an old

The last two digits of my serial numbers signify the year while the first three relate to the number of the instrument.
    So your mandolin is the 46th mandolin I have built and it was completed in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I have an old

I just pulled this email address off the website.

info@duffmandolins.com

You may be able to email him directly and get the information you seek. All the best.

Jeff
  7. Re: Advantages of solid base bridge vs feet bridges

I have a one footed bridge on my mandolin with two tone bars and it sounds better than the two footed bridge it came with. It will also help if you have belling in the center of the top.
  8. Thread: Case Stickers

by sgosnell
    Replies
    Views

Re: Case Stickers

I have a T-shirt with that old man/guitar ad. Because I'm old, a man, and I have a guitar. :cool:
  9. Replies
    Views

Love the circle of fifths sticker, you need to get a Mandolin Cafe sticker! https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/213944#213944
  10. Re: Advantages of solid base bridge vs feet bridges

Iron...
    Ideally, you'd use a two-footed bridge on an instrument with two longitudinal tone bars (like the F5/H5/A5) where you have a foot positioned over each tone bar. And you'd use a full-footed...
  11. Replies
    Views

Here is a previous thread regarding case stickers...

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/137797-Post-photo-of-your-Stickered-Cases
  12. Replies
    Views

I’ve collected three stickers to go on the hard case I ordered along with the Klos mandolin
  13. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

There have been a hundred threads on here where someone with (very) limited mandolin exposure declares a cheap mandolin to be "at least as good as a Gibson" or something of that ilk. There haven't...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Average cost for Mandolin set up

Blanket statements about pricing and unknown amounts of work don't offer much help. 'Better to use a flat rate and then calculate how much work needs to be done at an average of +/- $50 per hour. Or...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Average cost for Mandolin set up

$500 is preposterous for a set-up . . . assuming that it doesn't need work outside of the following:

1. adjusting the nut
    2. adjusting the truss rod [if it has one]
    3. setting the bridge...
  16. Re: Tuner Machine screws for solid peg head

The OP can sort this out by, for example, using any set of small drills to measure the tuner holes in question, and just buy whatever screws are the same or smaller dimension in a finish or pattern...
  17. Re: Tuner Machine screws for solid peg head

Stewmac has a variety of colors and drive type.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Machine screws for solid peg head

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Screws-Phillips-Guitar-Machine/dp/B07BV43Z9H/ref=mp_s_a_1_6_sspa?crid=39HVXLBF32DQH&keywords=guitar+tuner+mounting+screws&qid=1706805790&sprefix=guitar+tuner+screws%2C...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Machine screws for solid peg head

Exactly which screws are you referring to? The small wood screws that hold the tuners to the headstock?
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick up Installation

I've installed K&K and JJB piezoelectric soundboard transducers in quite a few instruments, including violins, violas and f-hole mandolins.

There are some differences between installations in a...
  21. Re: How to practice: Play very slow | Tal Wilkenfeld and Lex F

i agree with her on a lot of points, not that its a bad thing but we did not have the instant online resources like the ones available today, you really had to find someone to show you, and from my...
  22. Re: I have a Mandolin that has Tone and volume except for the

If you're going to buy nut files, I prefer the ones from Music Nomad over StewMac's. You can get them from Sweetwater or Amazon, among others. The file can be removed from the handle easily, for...
  23. Re: I have a Mandolin that has Tone and volume except for the

For the e string slots, a razor saw would work just fine (if you have one of course).
  24. Re: I have a Mandolin that has Tone and volume except for the

If the slots are at different heights, the strings will be out of tune when fretted, because one has to be stretched slightly more than the other.
  25. Re: I have a Mandolin that has Tone and volume except for the

Yes, the strings must be the same height at the nut and bridge (relative to the frets) for intonation.
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4