Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris's mandolin headstock 3/28/23?

I'm guessing that is his Dude which did have a broken scroll.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Natural / Blonde Gibson F5s?

During the 1970s Jack Tottle had a 1950s natural finished Gibson F-5, but I don't know if was original or refinished.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sucks being a Canadian sometimes

On the hand, you had the best tv show ever!

4. Replies
    Views

Re: I Like This Pick... But What Is It?

Mystery solved. After pheffernan suggested it was an EML pick I searched my old emails and found one from Eric of EML Picks when I purchased 2 Peek picks. He included the casein pick shown in my...
  5. Bill Monroe Gouged Out His Peghead Twice? What's Going On Here?

I just noticed that Bill's gouged out peghead looks different on these two old LP's. One is more gouged out than the other, yet the original removed headplate that sold a few years back looks like...
  6. Replies
    Views

Measuring Humidity... What's a Guy To Do?

I have 9 hygrometers in my music storage room and they all measure differently. Let's skip the one that says 39% because that one is obviously wrong. Ironically, the highest reading of 57% is on a...
  7. Re: Ricky & Marty Play Bill's Mandolin on "Big Night"

Does it get any better than this? Mother Maybelle's 1928 L-5 and Bill Monroe's 1923 F-5 proudly sitting in front of Thomas Hart Benton’s “The Sources of Country Music”. (Photo from the Big Night...
  8. Ricky & Marty Play Bill's Mandolin on "Big Night"

You've got to check out the recent hour and a half show filmed at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum which is now on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKUUSntqWQ

Some legendary...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Jackson done right.

That's a home run! But it would have been a grand slam if he had done Beat It with a mandolin break over Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo.

His polka version of Shallow is pretty funny as well.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Funky logo placement on F4 headstock.

Maybe Gibson was planning ahead for clip-on tuners. :)
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: keeping the mando off your stomach

Tone-Gard YES:
    Chris Thile
    Ronnie McCoury
    David Grisman
    Ricky Skaggs

Tone-Gard NO:
    Sam Bush
    Sharon Gilchrist
    Marty Stuart
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe's Actual Pick and Phone Number

Nashville's original area code was 615. I couldn't resist, so I tried calling the number. The recording said that this number has been disconnected or is no longer in use. I guess they retired Bill's...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gary Vessel F5 #94

Very nice looking mando, and a Grammy mando to boot... BUT, I can't stop looking out your window. What a view!!!
  14. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe's Actual Pick and Phone Number

Check out how puny this Bill Monroe pick is. It is certainly not up to modern material, shape, bevel, or size but it sure got the job done. It measures .040" in thickness and for comparison...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyd Loar's Pick

Over the years I have found hundreds of old picks in vintage instrument cases and none of them were anywhere near as thick as modern-day pickers prefer.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Autoharps for playing fiddle tunes

I have bought several very clean Oscar Schmidt autoharps over the years in cases, and all under $100 at flea markets, auctions, yard sales, etc. And those were the ones with a gazillion buttons too....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Voight F-Style #10

Sounding awfully good for only a month old Dan. In fact, it sounds AND looks great. Nice job.
  18. The Story of the "D" Log as Told by Steve Gilchrist

I was curious as to whether either of my two beloved Gils were made from the fabled “D” log, so I emailed Steve to ask him about that, and also where the “D” label came from. Below is Steve’s answer...