Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: We Honor Your Service

I was in the final 1974 draft lottery, #35. Graduated High School at 17, so I was in college. My father was Air Force, Korean War. My father's father was a Marine, WWI.

That year I really...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Shipping Costs

Just shipped a mandolin about as far as you can in the lower 48, from 80 miles west of Seattle to Savannah GA. I used a canvas covered styrofoam case for light weight, wrapped it in plastic and then...
  3. Re: Off in the weeds on my first mando purchase ...

I have large hands, wear XL or XXL gloves. I started on a 1 3/32" nut mandolin, I was moving from guitar and it pretty much went fine. I had to be very careful with my G chop chord so as not to mute...
  4. Re: What instrument is the hardest? My experience

I've been a drummer my whole life. In the 80's, when I told my friend Mike I had bought a guitar, he asked me to start playing a gig with him once a week because he had just lost his guitar partner....
  5. Re: My old/new Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer broken/excellent mandolin

No video, Gunnar. I'm technically challenged.

I wanted to put this out there partly because repair reports are far less common but, unfortunately, something many of us will face. From reading...
  6. My old/new Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer broken/excellent mandolin

I value items which I’ve invested my time and emotional energy in, with which I share a story. Despite the fact that I’ve only logged a few hours on this instrument we already have...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with USPS?

The wages have plummeted at the USPS for two decades and new delivery people are not that far above minimum wage ($15 here) and sorting is really hard in the time allowed. You get what you pay for....
  8. Re: How do you test the qualities you're looking for in a Mandoli

I'm fairly new but I've found it helpful to bring my mandolin and switch back and forth. Without a reference instrument I get very fuzzy about comparisons. With, I can remember volume level and tone...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Best suited cast tailpiece

I was just about to buy a 2nd from Allen (marred finish), which are about $80 IIRC, when one popped up on Reverb, new in package, from a guy whose plans changed. I got that for less.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Reverb acquired by Etsy...

Ebay has become much more expensive because it is a monopoly. The smart play for Etsy is to expand the number of products on Reverb. It may raise the fee to 5% but it has to stay much cheaper than...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Reverb acquired by Etsy...

I've made over a dozen purchases on Reverb and have been quite happy. Last purchase - I wanted an Allen tailpiece, nothing except retail on ebay, found one still in sealed bag being resold on Reverb,...
  12. Replies
    Views

ebay Eastman violin, place your bets

Since I have to go by Seattle Goodwill tomorrow and pick up a couple of purchases I was looking for anything they had for sale which might be of interest and which I could pick up at the same time....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Loud, or Not So Loud?

I use these rubber picks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z2CZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Wow, what a flip!

Not a flip until someone buys it. The story might be, "Wow, what wishful thinking".
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: eBay sales tax

I'm a CPA. For the longest time whether a business selling into another state had to collect sales tax was a function of their presence in that state. If Guitar Center had a store in your state then...
  16. Re: Newbie here, suffering from analysis paralysis

My own theory, which I've followed with mandolin and previous instruments, is survey the pricing of appropriate used instruments and buy the first big bargain that comes along. That way once you...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Jamming-What to do?

One reason I decided to learn mandolin is that in the jam sessions I attended with guitar, which seldom had more than a single mandolin, I found myself playing mandolin style rhythms because that...
  18. Re: Got lucky, rolled ebay dice 3x and got my ideal mandolin

I have to brag on my middle child. I commissioned my son Andy to do a water color of me to use as an avatar. I like it so much that after several years of short hair I've grown it out again.
  19. Re: Got lucky, rolled ebay dice 3x and got my ideal mandolin

I grew up in Charleston. I need to get back there in the not too distant future.

I had some bad luck and some good luck. I'm trying not to let that effect my judgement of each mandolin.
  20. Got lucky, rolled ebay dice 3x and got my ideal mandolin

Because of my history with Tacoma guitars, my first mandolin wasn't much of a gamble. The Olympia OM-6SW I bought has many virtues and was a great starter instrument for $230. But, in order to get...
  21. Re: Lengthy article on bluegrass in the Guardian (UK)

Agree with Alex.

I think the subtitle about protest may have mainly been a reference to the Punch Brothers. The article makes more sense if "folk music" is substituted for "bluegrass". Interesting...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for beginners 1st camp

I certainly enjoyed meeting you, Henry. That class with Paul Glasse is a great example of something unexpected making an impact. "Circle of Fifths and Jazz Chord Progressions" seemed like a snooze...
  23. Replies
    Views

Tips for beginners 1st camp

Just over 3 months after first touching a mandolin I attended the June Oberlin ROW camp at Menucha. Here's what a beginner needs to know for this camp and likely for others:

Learn every note from...
  24. Re: Which higher priced F style models have solid wood scrolls?

No surprise that someone who rushes to the defense of those denigrating a forum member for the sin of expressing an opinion at odds with their own would exhibit the same behavior himself. Personal...
  25. Re: Which higher priced F style models have solid wood scrolls?

You obviously are thinking of another thread since no one in the thread I mentioned cited either method. Chiadni patterns are widely used but weren't mentioned by the mockers. In my day we used...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3