Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko

He was also proud of his Ukrainian heritage, especially poignant this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewxt-BKarc
  2. Thread: New Wienman F-5

by Mills
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Wienman F-5

Thanks Charlie, from my understanding Will and Wes don't do serial numbers, but use numbers based on year, mine is 2102 which I think means second mandolin in 2021 batch. Here is my best attempt at...
  3. Replies
    Views

John Lennon - Mandolinist?!?

I have been watching the interesting Peter Jackson documentary "The Beatles - Get Back" and one thing that really impressed me is how great a rhythm guitar player John Lennon is. He has what I would...
  4. Replies
    Views

Does my mandolin sound cheap???

I was reviewing a training video on YouTube of Joe Walsh giving instruction of a song. I noticed the sound his mandolin makes is quite different than mine. His sounds more like he's picking...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting CNC violin build

The whole thing is just exercise in CNC wood cutting and assembly and likely sponsored but the CNC producer. He could as well create coffee table. Only the shape of the "object" resembles violin....
  6. Replies
    Views

Where’s the easy-does-it method?

When I learned trumpet back in 7th grade, the next step was always so small as to be barely noticeable. By the end of the year those small steps had really built up, and 6 years later at the end of...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Which way do musicians make more money?

Any time you purchase directly from the source, that source has a better chance of collecting the monies from the sale. The shortest point between two entities is always a straight line.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Which way do musicians make more money?

I'm not a professional musician, so I won't attempt to answer your question, but I want to say something to pro's and sei-pro's. Musicians keep telling us how little they're paid by streaming and...
  9. Replies
    Views

Stuck in customs

I recently purchased my first irish bouzouki from thomann, and its stuck in us customs. Thomann hasnt been the most responsive to my emails. I recd notice from ups customs lady with some forms...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Why a carved top and bottom?

There are cheap mandolins that have the top bent and not carved. Not speaking of a bent top, but made to look like a carved top. They don't sound as good as a carved top IMO.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s after a Kentucky KM-1050?

Just aping what I'd do. . .

Used Heiden a-model. Used Gibson Sam Bush. Another Stiver (I'd want a wide nut; however). New baked MT2V.

f-d
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: F-Style vs A-style ergonomics...

I started out playing mandolin with a preference for f styles as many newbies do (and many seasoned pros). It didn’t take long for me to discover I could get a much better A style for the same money...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Update From The Mandolin Store

The Mandolin Store is absolutely running! Zach Vance has stepped in for his father while he recuperates and the store will continue to offer the very best prices and personal service. I’ve bought 3...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Arm rest. Y or N?

In addition to the benefits already stated above, I find that an armrest helps offset the weight of the headstock. Especially on an F5 shape with a tonegard on.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you use to lube your tuners?

Me three.

Per his advice, I use a dab of Tri-Flow.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Hi, I'm new to this

For a good overall introduction to mandolin in general (which is really what you're asking, as you're NOT specifically pursuing, say, bluegrass or jazz or classical), it's hard to beat Don Julin's...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: keeping the mando off your stomach

AFAIK the main difference is sides of Rigels are curved so bend the mounting points, to suit. then slip the tubing sections over them again ?
  18. Re: Of your favorite instruments that qualify for this site...

I have two mandolins that are in playable order right now, both are F-style and both are setup pretty close to identically. One would cost quite a bit to replace today, the other was quite...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Elixir Mediums vs. D'Addario Mediums?

Has anyone used the Elixir mediums on a Kentucky KM-1000? That is what I am looking to use them on.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Caterina Lichtenberg‘s On-line course

I'm a subscriber as well. The course is well structured, with each new concept clearly explained and demonstrated. Studying classical mandolin opens up a whole other world of possibilities on the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Lose grip on a thick pick or use a thin pick?

"lose" grip means that you have not managed to maintain the grip.
    "loose" grip is when you don't hold it tightly.

Sometimes, the spelling does matter! :grin: Anyway, too loose a grip will lose...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Jerry Rosa & Rosa String Works

Really enjoy his stuff. I'm building an A-style from an IV kit right now, and I've learned much of what I'm doing from his videos.
  23. Thread: Ellis A5?

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis A5?

Don't forget, every used Heiden, Kimble, Ellis, Gilchrist, Montelione, et al, is a rejected instrument by someone. Thankfully, there is no recognized best brand in the world, except perhaps a Loar.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What can I expect in quality from upgrade?

I'm interested to see what you think after you play the Northfield. I have an Eastman MD315 and MD505 and have been wondering how much better a Northfield might be for me. General consensus seems to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Set Up Ebook and Mandolin Users

Even if your mandolin is well set up, it's comforting to measure action for confirmation, and the info is something you should have available.
Page 1 of 2 1 2