Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Yooper Creoles: Finnish Music in Michigan's Copper Country

Here's a random selection of Finn tunes that are fun on mandolin (a search of the forum will find other discussions on this topic). I think the music for these can all be found on John Chambers abc...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

When my friends are surprised that I have no recollection of some big hit from the 1980s, my standard explanation is that I spent the 80s listening to Norman Blake. And I guess I never stopped. I'm...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A Bad Day at the Bandsaw

I had steeled myself to read a tale of severed digits, painful recovery, and learning to play with four fingers. I was happy to see it's just a crappy headstock!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Damman Mandocello

I believe the price was $1500
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Downe's Waltz. This wacky and challenging ditty is from the Oliver Ditson Boston Collection of Instrumental Music, ca. 1850. It's in the public domain so a shot of the sheet music is provided.

6. Replies
    Views

Re: Metsäkukkia - Finnish waltz

Although I am not a Finn, I play mandolin in a Finnish band in north central MA/southern NH, which has a substantial Finn population. Metsakukkia, which reportedly translates to "Woodland Flowers",...
  7. Re: Opinions on the Thomann (or other cheap) mandocellos?

Not sure how much it matters, but the Artimusica model appears to be a 7-string with only one bass string.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting F2 (F4)

I suppose I should let the OP answer for himself, but it appears to me that he hoped to get lucky with a $4k bid for a mando that is worth substantially more than that, and when he got outbid he...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Venuti transcriptions book

This Venuti/George Barnes album is an old favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2Kn8PbdGXQ&t=500s
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Clip-on mic vs Removable Pickup

I played in an alt country band with high ambient noise levels (drums, electric bass, bar settings). I got an AT Pro 35 but eventually got frustrated with it because I knocked it out of position so...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Etiquette for buying a mandolin on-line

As an (infrequent) buyer and seller of on-line used instruments, I expect to provide and receive a 48-hour approval period and you are certainly not out of line in asking for one. If your seller...
  12. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

I started in my mid-20s with virtually no musical background, put it down after a few years and started again in my late 30s. You'll probably never catch up with the whiz kid Sam Bushes and Sierra...
  13. Thread: Good mic for...

by morgan
    Replies
    Views

Re: Good mic for...

The AT 3035 is sort of the poor man's 4033, but still good for your intended purpose. They haven't been made in a while but used ones are typically $150 - $175 (at which point the few extra $ for a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Cowboy Junkies "Sweet Jane"

Here's a video of the Tonight Show in 2011 - he did kill it!. Once you get to the page, search for "wrong piano". It's broken up into 4 or 5 clips, you can play them sequentially. The solo is on...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Raffaele Calace in Tablature, 3 Volumes

My two cents to respond to Jim's question: By way of background, I taught myself to play long ago reading tab, have taught myself a fair amount of theory over the years, and have also learned to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Flat back mandolin ID help

Although there are minor variations (including bound fretboard and fancier pickguard material), it looks pretty similar to the one discussed in this thread:
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Considerations for buying early F4?

My personal experience, although on a somewhat limited sample size, is that the pre-truss rod F4s, in addition to being cheaper, sound better (more F4-like, if you will). Good luck, and enjoy the...
  18. Thread: New mandola

by morgan
    Replies
    Views

Re: New mandola

The sycamore back is beautiful. My understanding is that "sycamore" means different things to different people - is this the plane tree, Platanus Occidentalus, which I think is aka the American...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Perfect Fest Vehicles?

It's built on a 5 x 8 mesh-floor utility trailer from tractor supply, and is modeled on the traditional "ledge" style roma caravans. "Ledge" refers to the shelves that go out over the wheels to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Perfect Fest Vehicles?

The major drawbacks of camping are 1) sleeping on hard ground; 2) getting comfortably out of the rain when needed, and 3) campground noise. Big trailers and decked out Sprinter vans solve all of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Consignment Advice

I recently consigned at the Music Emporium. They charge 20%, but my feeling was that they probably get a 10% (or more) premium on price due to the comfort of buying through a reputable dealer, and...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Howe-Orme mandolin video

I finally cleared the time to watch this - great video, and thank you! I've had one for many years but did not realize how rare they are. Mine was sold (according to the sticker on the inside) at...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Adventures in Clip-On Mics

To close the loop on my question above, I bought the Pro35 and a used PreSonus TubePre v1. I also bought one of those small shelf attachments that clamps onto a music stand. I run the 6-foot cable...
  24. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

sheri -

I'm having a hard time finding the link to the Bb folder - can you post it again?

Thanks!
    Cedwyn
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Cedar as a top tone wood

Jacobsen mandolins alaskan yellow cedar (NFI):

http://martinjacobson.com/id/?project=nautilus-16
Page 1 of 2 1 2