Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

It is surprising that your banjo rarely needs tuned. They are almost as notorious as the mandolin for requiring regular tuning. I first heard the saying Ed quotes about spending half your time...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A Different Busking Question

We were playing an upscale bar about an hour from closing time and a wedding party comes in complete with bride, the dress, tuxedos, and the whole group was quite drunk. The most vocal of the bunch...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: You have never seen a mandolin like this

Well maybe ... but ya really need to try the ham sandwich!
  4. Re: You have never seen a mandolin like this

Threads merged.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

If you don't like people's opinions on this, just scroll past them ;)
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

I believe the precursor of the scroll on mandolins at least in the US appeared on German concert zithers. No doubt Orville wanted a certain look to his instruments. After his departure post-three...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Beltone, Blue Comet, etc Mandolins

You know you have reached a certain age when you see Beltone and think hearing aids.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Distressed Mandolin and Regular Playing

Along with that is a matter of "perspective," that is, to a kid today an 1982 Ibanez is a 40-year old "vintage" guitar. Whereas, a 21-year old Keith Richards in 1964 bought a "used" 1959 Les Paul --...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help identifying please

....... assuming you can take the back off. On many of these, the neck is simply screwed onto the resonator and the head and its metal ring screwed into the top edge of the resonator. Effectively,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Information

Allen, I think you may be mistaken about the bridge being glued, I think it’s simply resting on that top. The mandolin is not hanging as one might assume but lying on its back top facing up. I may be...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Just read "MANDOLIN PRICING"

So now the full truth is out. You had not just the Head Luthier, but actually, really Shmergel himself in the vehicle? Wow! I am surprised you even needed to go to the airport. I would imagine...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back mandolin

Unusual to have a full circular soundhole—most have ovals. This is a lower-end mandolin, probably sold by the half-dozens to be relabeled by stores. I don't recognize the headstock but my hunch is...
  13. Re: Rare Circular Shaped Tuning Machine German Made Mandolin

The best description I could imagine is "design fail".
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Just read "MANDOLIN PRICING"

Although photographed many times, Shmergel is mysteriously never visible. The enigma lives on.
  15. Thread: Jerry Capehart

by JoseM.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jerry Capehart

Allen thanks for response.

Fortunately there are many Gretsch strngs for mandolin, banjo, violin, and guitar that came with the insruments package. I agree about light gauge for the Mandriola. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega Mando Banjolele

Thanks so much Allen,

The thread you linked shows an identical instrument from the nut down - same neck, 7.5" pot and "Style K" on the dowel. The pot and dowel have matching serial numbers.

The...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 1898 Martin Style 6. What should I do?

Well thanks everyone for your input. I was able to trade it for a 1946 Gibson LG-2 and a some $$. Which made me quite happy as it went to capable hands, and the work the Gibson needs is well within...
  18. Re: 1929 Martin Style C Mandolin with side crack - Worth fixing?

These are muy coolioso, Allen, but the caveat I'll remind folks of is that the width of the Waverly Cloud tailpiece cover varied.

Ask me how I know. :(

I've got a small box of them and they...
  19. Re: Dose anyone know anything about this mandolin or its value

Apologize for taking so long about getting back to the thread but I've been trying to get the information that's inside the Mandolin it's just been hard getting in touch with person that put it up...
  20. Re: Dose anyone know anything about this mandolin or its value

Oh, no worries. You have a right to your opinion, as do we all, and it's good to b e reminded now and then to mind what we say, because it's easy enough to get carried away with the repartée. We can...
  21. Re: Dose anyone know anything about this mandolin or its value

@ Mr. Bear et al: No, I think the OP could easily feel he’s been mocked. One can only take witty chances with those we know well. To the second point: I imagine he wasn’t keen to go back and check...
  22. Re: Comments on the Value of Gibson A4 Mandolin with hard case

Actually selling: in the $2000's, maybe up to $2800 or so for paddleheads.
    Not selling: any paddlehead listed above $3000. I can cite 3 or 4 at established dealers that have been sitting unsold...
  23. Re: Dose anyone know anything about this mandolin or its value

While I agree that is a good approach, I disagree with the assertion that we've been inordinately demeaning in our assessments. I think we have concentrated on the instrument in our fun-making and...
  24. Re: Dose anyone know anything about this mandolin or its value

Actually IMHO I thought almost all of the comments were direct and to the point and not belittling the OP. It is our responsibility to set people straight. The humor was directed at the obviously...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 1898 Martin Style 6. What should I do?

Such a great image of a mule spinning.... I guess first cousin to cow tipping?
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4