Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of January

Trying a fun little exercise of learning a Ronnie McCoury solo a day. Maybe I underestimated how difficult this would be but let's find out :))

I usually post majority of my videos on social media...
  2. Video: John Reischman's solo from "Nesser"

Hey all, I learned John Reischman's ripping solo from "Nesser" off Up in the Woods and made a little video. Hope you enjoy.

UhHBUl8kLs0
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe F-5G tribute documentary

Let me embed that for you. Well done. You might ask the mods to change F5G to F5 in the thread title.

krAYYCJ3JNA
  4. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe F-5 tribute documentary

We have the final edit of our mini documentary about Bill Monroe's July 9 Gibson F-5 featuring David Harvey, George Gruhn and others discussing the impact of the world's most famous mandolin.
  5. Ook'n'm (Marshall, Rice, Anger, Phillips) live release

Hi all,

Mike Marshall just made this live recording available to purchase on Bandcamp from a concert in 2001. Everyone sounds really great here and it's a killer setlist of New Acoustic tunes....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news

So sad to hear this news. Jesse was one of my heroes, a friend and mentor. Another giant of the mandolin has left us. Rest in peace, Jesse.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Alan Niederland

Wanted to take a day to think about my old pal Alan before I wrote this.
    Alan and i were friends before either of us played music. We were going to school, back east, in Saratoga Springs, NY ...
  8. Replies
    Views

RIP Alan Niederland

Known as AlanN on the cafe (prodigious posting in earlier days). Just saw he passed a couple days ago. Only knew him on-line but he was a generous guy who shared a lot great stuff with me. I know he...
  9. Helping out a mandolin themed film: Jacob's First Mandolin

An interesting project Jacob Sharp of the band Mipso filled me in on and I thought it would be great to share and for this community to throw it's support behind. Here's the story:

Visit NC and...
  10. Replies
    Views

The Break (jazz original)

I put this up on Soundcloud in late June, and I see it's now been played three times. So I'm giving it a little nudge. Quartet number for mandolin, guitar, bass and drums, recorded around 2007. ...
  11. Thread: Vintage?

by walter carter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage?

As this thread has demonstrated, there are too many different contexts for "vintage" to be strictly defined. Vintage can be defined by age - 20 years old, 30 years old, whatever. Or it can be defined...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Crosspicking vs "the Other Kind"

It should also be said that crosspicking can also be a rhythm method and a fill method. You can do a crosspicking roll to arpeggiate chords without the melody either all the way through a piece,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Rice

Facebook from Ricky Skaggs.
  14. Replies
    Views

RIP Tony Rice

Seeing reports that Tony Rice passed away yesterday.

June 8, 1951 - December 25, 2020

Thus far the only link I can find is on Facebook.

More:

Wikipedia page
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: David Grisman's Acoustic Oasis Web Site Launches

I'm sorry you were having problems with Nugs. It took us three years to build Acoustic Oasis on their platform and it was the only game in town for us 10 years ago, when this thread began. Now we're...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mile Twelve win an IBMA Award

I dig this band.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy 75th Birthday Today, David Grisman!

First he and Tony's EMD blew my head off, then he showed me the way to Barstow while Janice was cooking in the background.
    Then we went to France and fiddled with Django's Steph with Opuses spinning...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy 75th Birthday Today, David Grisman!

Thank you all! I'm still trying to get these puppies in tune after nearly 60 years.
    Stay safe and be well!! Mandoln pickers survive!
  19. Replies
    Views

Happy 75th Birthday Today, David Grisman!

Happy birthday to the Dawg, born this date 1945 in Hackensack, New Jersey. Still making beautiful and meaningful sounds after changing the face of acoustic music forever!

Above: David...
  20. Re: What mandolin recordings are definitive to evolving its role?

The first album by the Irish band Planxty - with its innovative use of mandolin type instruments by Andy Irvine and bouzouki by Donal Lunny - changed EVERYTHING in Irish music, and subsequently had...
  21. David Grisman & Stéphane Grappelli - The First Session

Just picked this up from Acoustic Disc. What a joy! First/second/third... takes of Minor Swing, 16-16, Dawg Patch, with Tony Rice, Mike Marshall, Eddie Gomez. Takes the listener right back to when...
  22. UK Music Lovers: Reischman UK Tour May 1-12

Don't miss this, mandolin players in the UK. I just saw John Reischman and the Jaybirds and they are an incredible band. John's playing just knocks me out. Tone taste timing. You'll enjoy their new...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Fiddle Shop Lost to Fire

Hang on to your hats for this bit of news. What I'm told is Byron and his crew are going to post and confirm this on the web as well, where I don't know but I'd guess on Facebook:

Byron's Loar was...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

OK gang. “Crusher” (signed by Lloyd on 12/20/22) came my way in the fall of 1989, a day before I played at Carnegie Hall with Stephane Grappelli. The mandolin was in perfect, near mint condition and...
  25. Replies
    Views

An open letter to Classifieds users

I'm typically not one to engage in open letters to the community, but something has been gnawing at my brain for a very long time. A few days ago I was contacted by a buyer with a question regarding...
Page 1 of 2 1 2