Search:

Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

Let me get back to you on that in 19 years.
  2. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

As always, it depends on your own finances and how much a dollar is worth to you. Those prices are over half my yearly salary, before taxes. No instrument is worth that kind of money to someone in my...
  3. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

Unfortunately there’s an embargo and dealers are not at liberty to discuss, post etc. I will say this. They are still making mandolins; quite a few in fact BUT only a couple specific models. Again, I...
  4. Replies
    Views

The Yeller Rose of texas

Who could be a better reincarnation of Homer and Jethro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUG0JqA7yc
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: My 3 Ring Binder is a PITA

We replaced the binders with forScore. It was a game changer. I also use iGigBook for the various Real Books.
  6. Re: Work needed on Monteleone? Keep it or not? Need some sage adv

Even that one doesn't have its original frets.
  7. Re: Is Gibson only making two models of mandolins now?

Gibson stopped taking new orders of mandolins in April of 2022. Our volume and amount of backorders allowed us to keep a decent supply of mandolins up through the beginning of 2023. Now that supply...
  8. Replies
    Views

Impressions: Northfield A5 Special

Okay, forgive the lengthy post, but I felt compelled to write something and sure do hope that all you friends will understand that I'm only doing this because I'm so amazed at the effect receiving my...
  9. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Oh yeah, one more bit. BA in Music from CCM. MBA from Xavier, don’t tell anybody. Just finished paying off my student loans last year - and I am 53 years old.

No formal luthier training. No...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Kissimmee Fl mandolin hire or borrow

If it was your business would you want someone doing that to you? If you want a cheap mandolin to travel with simply buy one.
  11. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Indispensable? This is where genre differences come in. This is absolutely not the way to find your way into a local Irish/Scottish pub session, where mandolin is typically a melody instrument, and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: When to upgrade from beginner mandolin?

Chris Thile when I saw him in Glasgow last November: "Bill Monroe said, 'No A-string ever went to heaven' ".
    Even if that's a made-up quote, it's a true one!
  13. Thread: Hearing aids

by PapaZark
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

For me, once I got hearing aids, my wife stopped screaming at me in Costco...
  14. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: How often do you tune your Mandolin?

Yes, its a curse, I reckon. I cannot stand it, but it seems there are more than a few I encounter that it does not seem to bother. I used to have a coffee cup emblazoned with a skull&crossbones and...
  15. Re: Buying an instrument you have never played

I shop online. No great mando stores around here. I bought three of the four mandos I've had online.

The important thing is the return policy. Is there one? Will it give you enough time to try...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Performing in a sport coat

Nobody wants to look up at the stage and see some sweaty old dude in a dirty t-shirt, worn out '90s era cargo shorts, & flip flops.....nobody!

I always start the gig with a nice jacket & looking...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish cracks?

I don't know what the finish is, I don't know how it was applied, I don't know how thick the finish is, I don't know how the wood was seasoned before the mandolin was built, I don't know how the...
  18. Replies
    Views

RIP Jim Seals

Sad news. Jim Seals has passed at the age of 79 or 80 (some confusion about his birth year). I enjoyed their music, though I can't say I was a big fan. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I...
  19. Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

Yes! This Cheshire Cat should make it easy to identify. See it?

20. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s going through your mind during a solo?

Sing!

No matter what instrument is being played, string or wind, I'm singing the melody in my head.
  21. Re: Gibson is preparing to sell NFTs of its most famous models

Googled it. Read all about it. Still don't know:(
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Best prices Gibson F5

According to Dennis Vance at The Mandolin Store, Gibson is currently making the best mandolins now and the quality is consistently high in quality build and tone. I can concur wholeheartedly in the...
  23. Re: Stewmac shipping outrageously expensive and NOT eco-responsib

Stew-mac was never the cheapest place around. Since the buy out, they are now perhaps the most expensive.
    They sell stuff you can't get anywhere else. Most of what they sell is of high quality....
  24. Re: F5 Upgrade Guidance - Gibson, Collings, Northfield

I have to agree with the post above. I've owned or played at least half a dozen Collings mandolin. Amazingly consistent in their sound. If you like the Collings sound you can, or at least could,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile using an SM57 mic

He's playing into a 57 and singing into a 58. There is a reason people have been doing that for decades.
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4