Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

    Hi folks,
    Next weekend I'm going to the Birmingham tradfest (I've got an 18 month old little boy so weekends off are a rarity these days, but more than compensated for by the little man). https://www.birminghamtradfest.co.uk/

    I know a good few folks going there and am best known as a "backer" on the guitar on the Irish trad scene, but will also be bringing my mando and am looking forward to picking some tunes and the general craic. Just thought it was worth a shout in case any other mando players on here are going, if so we could hook up and pick some Irish trad mando?
    cheers,
    Paul

    PS this is Birmingham in the midlands of England, not Alabama
    Last edited by Paul Cowham; Nov-15-2019, 6:33pm.

  • #2
    Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

    Unfortunately, my lack of forward planning means I can't make it. Public transport stops early to my part of Wales, which means I would need to organise accommodation in Birmingham. Pitching my tent in the middle of Birmingham in November (or any month of the year) doesn't appeal to me.

    Looks like there's a lot of good stuff going on there - Matt Molloy with John Carty, The Kane Sisters... I think my London-based mandolin & banjo playing friend Adam Mace might be around looking for a session https://youtu.be/wATgt1L2rUQ .

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

      That's a really great line-up Paul. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If I didn't have other things on I might even go to it myself.

      Good to hear that you seem to be doing well.

      I seem to vaguely recall that you now play a guitar by a builder from somewhere in the Midlands? I think I tried his stuff out at the Ullapool Guitar Festival a few years ago and thought it pretty good.

      Kind regards,

      Dagger
      David A. Gordon

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

        Originally posted by whistler View Post
        Unfortunately, my lack of forward planning means I can't make it. Public transport stops early to my part of Wales, which means I would need to organise accommodation in Birmingham. Pitching my tent in the middle of Birmingham in November (or any month of the year) doesn't appeal to me.

        Looks like there's a lot of good stuff going on there - Matt Molloy with John Carty, The Kane Sisters... I think my London-based mandolin & banjo playing friend Adam Mace might be around looking for a session https://youtu.be/wATgt1L2rUQ .
        Thanks Whistler, yep great line up and loads of sessions I really like your friend's (Adam's) playing, hopefully I'll get to meet him. I tend to agree that camping in Birmingham at any time of the year wouldn't be ideal

        Originally posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
        That's a really great line-up Paul. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If I didn't have other things on I might even go to it myself.

        Good to hear that you seem to be doing well.

        I seem to vaguely recall that you now play a guitar by a builder from somewhere in the Midlands? I think I tried his stuff out at the Ullapool Guitar Festival a few years ago and thought it pretty good.

        Kind regards,

        Dagger
        Dagger, great to hear from you, how are things with you? Touch wood all ok with me. Life as a father has its moments, but as you know very well is indescribably rewarding. Really looking forward to a weekend of indulging in music with no parental duties though . Maybe we should pencil this in for 2020?

        The luthier that you're referring to is Ken Powell, he used to live near me close to Manchester but now lives in Wales. I have a guitar of his which is a lovely fingerstyle guitar but less suited to hard strumming, I've also got an octave mandolin of his which is really great. Nice guy and talented luthier, he did mention that he was doing a guitar festival at Ullapool. https://powellguitars.com/

        cheers, Paul
        Last edited by Paul Cowham; Nov-21-2019, 7:00pm.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

          What? There’s nothing like that in Alabama.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

            what about this (apart from the knitting) http://www.alfolkschool.com/celtic-week

            PS I love a bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

              Originally posted by Paul Cowham View Post

              The luthier that you're referring to is Ken Powell, he used to live near me close to Manchester but now lives in Wales. I have a guitar of his which is a lovely fingerstyle guitar but less suited to hard strumming, I've also got an octave mandolin of his which is really great. Nice guy and talented luthier, he did mention that he was doing a guitar festival at Ullapool. https://powellguitars.com/

              cheers, Paul
              Didn’t know Ken was into building mandolin family instruments. Although I’ve not seen him recently, we go back nearly 50 years. I developed my first black & white film in his bathroom and bought a tumble dryer from him when he emigrated to Canada! Ken built his first guitar shortly after returning to the UK and is a good finger-style guitarist.

              The things that get mentioned on the Cafe ....... !!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Birmingham tradfest 2019 anyone?

                Originally posted by Paul Cowham View Post
                what about this (apart from the knitting) http://www.alfolkschool.com/celtic-week

                PS I love a bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd
                That's very nice, thanks!

                PS Skynyrd were from Florida, BUT Muscle Shoals is Alabama

                Comment

                Working...
                X