The Mist-covered Mountains

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    My latest offering - an old Gaelic air written by John Cameron of Ballachulish in 1856 to counter the nostalgia he was feeling having left his native highland village to work in the big city of Glasgow. Hope it gives you a feeling of peace ath this time.

I am playing this on Lowden guitar and my JK mandolin, and the pictures are from my own collection of photos I have taken over my many years of roaming Scotland's mountains and wild places. There is a clear view of Ben Nevis, our highest mountain, coming in at around 52 seconds at the top of the picture. I took the shot from the top of the Buchaille Etive Mhor at the entrance to Glencoe. This has always been one of my very favourite spots.

2. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    I love this tune, and you play a great version! ciao
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Absolutely wonderful, this is definetly one of your best and one of my favourites. I used to play a version of this with words about the clearances, I will see if I can find it.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, both. It is indeed a beautiful air, as is another of his, Balluchulish Glen (Gleann Bhaile Chaoil). It again voices his sorrow at being away from his home.

David, the song about the Clearances is "Hush, Hush".
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hmmmn, quite good, Mr. Kelly.
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That's a wonderful arrangement, John!

I also love this tune, and recorded a version several years ago, in 2014. Very different from yours, this one has layered tremolo harmonies:

Two mandolins (Gibson Ajr and Mid-Mo), plus my Mid-Mo OM, all of which have already had a solo outing in my lockdown videos.

We play this arrangement fairly frequently at our weekly mandolin get-togethers, as it's a great one for swapping parts between the players on every repeat, alternating between high melody/low harmony and vice versa.

Martin
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement and fine playing, Martin. Your photos, many in the Glencoe area, are excellent, and so appropriate to the composer, as he came from the village of Ballachulish, just a few miles further north. I have actually stayed in the cottage at Lagangarbh and in the Barn behind it on a few occasions when climbing there. It is owned by the Scottish Mountaineering Club. Are the pictures your own?
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John! Yes, the photos were selected because they're from the home region of the composer, John Cameron. Not my own, I'm afraid: I haven't been to the Highlands in about twenty years, which is something I urgently need to remedy as I used to go quite frequently in the 1990s and have always loved it! Mind you, if flights don't resume I expect a third of the entire UK population to try to holiday in Scotland...

Martin
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Two rather different versions, but both a pleasure to listen to.
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very pretty John. Nicely done with the pics.
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    what a beautiful morning, kicked-off with these excellent renditions, essence of audible Scotland. Have fun everybody, I'll do no recording today, it's our 31st wedding anniversary.
  12. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    John and Martin - very lovely tune and beautifully played and mixed. Something about those Scottish air's that really resonate with me? (Must be my Sottish heritage?) And gorgeous photos to accompany the music. Well done and thank you both for sharing.

Bertam - congratulations!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Ginny, Dennis and BH.
    Bertram, congratulations to you and Regina. Here's to the next 31!
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the comments! It's a great tune and I still like my arrangement, but my old recording from six years ago sounds a bit pedestrian to my ears now compared to John's rendition. I should probably try to re-record if I get around to it.

Martin
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Congratulations to Regina and Bertram!

And many thanks to John and Martin for these beautiful videos.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played Martin, and you have some amazing images, I always wonder where you find the old drawings and paintings.

And well done John, this has got to be the best yet, lots of texture and detail in the recording too. What did you think of the microphone? I find it doesnít give a high signal, but the mid frequencies are good enough. I havenít got a good enough sterio system nor ears to be able to tell.

And whatís the dedicated tune for Bertram and Regina?
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Happy Anniversary Bertram and Regina !!!! It's my bd tomorrow..but shhhhh.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Happy anniversary, Bertram and Regina!
    And happy birthday, Ginny!
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks lady and gents
    Happy birthday Ginny, and I won't tell
  20. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two excellent versions of this tune from two centurys ago!