Cowboy Songs

1. Eddie Sheehy
    I love Cowboy songs. Here is Ghost Rider in the Sky... does anyone know Rawhide?

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yeehaw - I like the way you fit the chords into the off beats.

Bertram
  3. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Cool version of Rawhide -I'll have to put that on my list to learn.

Our banjo player likes to do 'Back in the Saddle Again' but not as an instrumental.
  4. billkilpatrick
    eddie, that was great! remember vaughn monroe? i got goose bumps listening to this:

5. Eddie Sheehy
    I shore do pardner... Pretty scary how much I visualized that song almost 50 years ago with the clip you showed... I still get goosebumps...
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This old thread never got much further than Eddie's initial (and great!) video of Ghost Riders In The Sky, so I'll bump it with a couple more cowboy standards: here are "The Colorado Trail" and "Red River Valley".

I've recorded both of these as overdubbed duets of my Ajr with my tenor guitar, using Audacity. As it happens, both tunes were the title tracks of old black-and-white westerns with The Sons Of The Pioneers, so I've put a load of stills from the two movies on the video.

1. The Colorado Trail:

2. Red River Valley:

Martin
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Martin, you're arrangements are getting more and more impressive. I like the laid-back western feel of these.
    And a belated "excelent job," to Eddie. I'm glad this thread was revived so I could see that version of Ghost Riders.
  8. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    loved that Eddie, at i session i used to go to, we had great craic singing The wild Rover to the tune of Ghost riders in the sky, was an anything goes type of session down in the docks in Belfast, all sorts of weird and wonderful folk would would danter in off the boat and sing a song.
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's Red River Valley on a zouk...

10. Eddie Sheehy
    Not strictly a Cowboy song but here's Country Roads...

11. Eddie Sheehy
    And Me and Bobby McGee, since Kris Kristofferson is a kind of a cowboy...

12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here's another cowboy standard: Home On The Range, recorded on tenor guitar and my Ajr. Inevitably, this too was recorded by both Gene Autry and by The Sons Of The Pioneers, who also starred in the 1946 movie of that name -- I've used the posters and stills from that film (rather than the recent Disney cartoon) for my video.

There is a nice PDF with the tune and chords here: Link

Martin
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice Cowboy Songs so far!
    Well, my background is classical guitar, and for recording backup tracks to my mandolin endeavours, I usually fingerpick a nylon string guitar. But lately, I started exploring some basic flatpicking patterns as a possible way of accompaniment.
    Searching for an easy tune to apply this new method, I found Home on the Range, that I played on my tenor guitar and my newly acquired slope shoulder dreadnought:
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This turned out very nicely CC.
  15. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    All good music above.

My 2015 try at cowboy song "Down By The Brazos" - instrumental version:

(or direct link)

More info including several different tabs etc, and also a very nice video version by Martin Jonas, in Martin's 2015 Song-a-Week Down By The Brazos thread.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice and peaceful, CC.
    JL277z now I HAVE to learn that song, I like your finger work there, it gives the song an uplift. Thanks.
  17. crisscross
    crisscross
    Me too, I want to learn that nicely played song!
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very catchy and upbeat version there, JL. That bass certainly drives it along.
  19. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for reviving this old thread, CC, and for your lovely version of Home On The Range. I have recorded a few other cowboy songs over the years since my very old 2011 takes in this thread, so I may as well collect them in one place here:

Poor Lonesome Cowboy:

Bury Me Not On The Lone Prairie:

Down By The Brazos:

Wayfaring Stranger:

And finally, in memory of Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, here is her wonderful original tune Concurso, which really should be a Spaghetti Western soundtrack:

Martin
  20. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Thanks Simon, Crisscross, and John. It is a fun tune to play. And yeah that bass (in the backing track) was what kept me energized to keep practicing until I finally got comfortable enough with the tune to sort of branch off into all those little variations.

Martin wrote: "I have recorded a few other cowboy songs over the years since my very old 2011 takes in this thread, so I may as well collect them in one place here"

Good idea, and nice playing!
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice Martin, good to see them all in a collection.
  22. crisscross
    crisscross
    Five fine cowboy songs in a row, good idea Martin, nicely played!
  23. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    To get a little more relaxed in the upper regions of the fretboard, I tried Home on the Range in the third position:
  24. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very nice, Christian!
  25. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Stunning photography and nice playing in third position! I may consider it when I've mastered first position!