Autumn In Paris (John Sheahan)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a lovely Irish waltz written by John Sheahan, of The Dubliners, and originally recorded for his 1987 duo album "In Our Own Time" with Michael Howard. I found this transcription at:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/pub/autumn-paris

There is also a really nice live recording of this tune played on fiddle by Dozy Donelly here.

I have recorded the tune on a vintage Italian bowlback mandolin, doubled an octave down on tenor guitar and accompanied also on tenor guitar.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another old favourite revisited (even though nobody commented back in 2014...).

This new recording is based on the same Paul Oorts transcription as my old one, from the now-defunct tangosite.com. However, my instrumentation is a bit different, adding a mandocello bassline from the bass notes indicated in the chord progression. The chords in the B part are distinctly unusual for an Irish tune!

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  3. Bren
    Bren
    Thanks Martin, for your playing and introducing me to Autumn in Paris.

Another "French" John Sheahan tune, "Flowers of Normandy" is a great favourite of mine.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You have captured a certain Gallic vibe in this one, Martin. Lovely arrangement and playing.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Bren and John! John Sheahan has written some wonderful tunes.

As the link in my original 2014 post is now dead, I've uploaded the score here on the Cafe:

Link

Martin
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    You seem to be on a roll Martin, three fine recordings yesterday.
    I like Autumn in Paris best. Nicely played with your tademark tremolo.
    And thanks for the leadsheet. I'll add it to my growing to-do list.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great recording, Martin. The bassline fits in very good.
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Martin, John Sheahan does have a way with the waltzes!
  9. Brian560
    Brian560
    I'm just going to agree with all the other Martin. It's great ! I will add that I am envious of your tremolo.
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for those further nice comments -- glad you've all enjoyed it. I'll need to dig out John Sheahan's Marino Waltz, which is in a similar mood.

Martin
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    The disadvantage of being as prolific as you are is that there will occasionally be outputs on which the comments remain sparse! I'm sure there was no ill intent on anyone's part, and we're making up for it this time. I agree that it's very well played and doesn't sound Irish at all.