Week #452 ~ Beauty in Tears

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is an O'Carolan tune, Beauty in Tears.

Here is a link to standard notation and abc.

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is one of those tunes attributed to Carolan that appears only in O'Neill and not in Sullivan. I recorded a very no-frills version back in 2011:

Martin
  3. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Happy Holidays to everyone.
  4. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice and clean picking, dusty. And good examples from our archives from David and Martin.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Further to my old recording I have posted above, I have today also made this new recording as a trio of two mandolins and mandocello, using harmonies I found online and adapted for my needs.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Great versions from dustyamps and Martin.
    The fourth video posted by Barbara above is also from our archives - Tosh Marshall playingin 2010 the first mandolin part from Deborah Greenblatt's arrangement . At that time the second mandolin part was too difficult for us as it has several tricky chromatic runs.
    However we recently reintroduced it to our repertoire and after seven years practise can just about manage it.
  7. Brian560
    Brian560

Here is my submission for this tune.
  8. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Oh my, another beautiful O'Carolan tune ... seems this group is partial to O'Carolan

Great submissions. David Hansen always has a professional entry; I love David's music, and I very much enjoy many others here as well, I enjoy all the fine submissions. David, Tosh, Martin, Dusty, Maudlin, and Brian, I've listened to you guys and some several times. The tune is such a sad, sweet waltz, you guys inspired me and I decided to learn this one and try my hand at it. I tuned my fourth string to D for an occasional four string strum (all root notes!) and for the second and third repetitions I played a second mandolin in unison for effect. As always, plenty of regrets in the playing and in the video making, but I was determined to learn this tune and make a video all in one go. My biggest regret is that I've played it a bit too slow.

9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Brian and Mark. I just noticed that the sheet music Barbara linked to has a transcription error. The 2nd note of the 9th measure of the B part should be a D not an E.
    Here's a link to the correct sheet music from ONeills:

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/AA3Sh...utyInTears.gif
  10. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    David, thank you for that. I very foolishly attempted to learn the tune, record it, and make a video all in one evening - and didn't know it well enough to realize there was an error in the sheet music. I really do regret publishing my video now because I used some crazy fingering on parts of it, didn't emphasize beat one when kicking it off, played a wrong note in the melody, etc. etc.

Having read your post I tried to correct some of that, but too late now to correct the "polished" video,

Again, thanks to all for the inspiration and the feedback.
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I don't think I can learn this one because it's just too similar to the Ash Grove, as Tosh Marshall's video suggests. I'd get too confused. Nice playing here, though!