My Cape Breton Home

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Another Waltz to practise my steel-string backup ability. I guess, meanwhile I'm able to strum a decent 3/4 groove, so next time, I will try something different..
    This fidlle tune is on Youtube only in my mandolin version and one played on an octave mandolin. So Cape Breton doesn't seem to be a mandolin hotspot.
  2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    What a lovely tune. Nice tremolo too.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks CC, really nice, and fine rhythm too. I was just thinking today how I like Cape Breton tunes.
    (Sarah’s Mandolin is another)
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Cape Breton may not be a hotbed of mandolin activity, but it sure seems to be a wonderland of fine fiddlers! Great tune and well played! Just curious, how did you record this? Guitar or mandolin first? What is your thinking? On my stuff I mostly put down the mandolin first and then backup with the guitar. This way it's like real backup with the added benefit that I already know what the mandolin is going to do!
  5. Bren
    Bren
    Nice version Simon.

There are a few mandolin versions on YouTube actually.

My pick (after yours of course) would be this one from James Galway's A Song of Home with Jay Ungar and Molly Mason.

Peter Ostroushko , who died earlier this year, plays a lovely mandolin section and can be heard from 1:29

https://youtu.be/2bpDkl7b3gs
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Bren, itís Christianís tune, not mine
    -though I wish it were mine, I like that extended waltz rhythm.

Thanks. That link has a cool mandolin track too.
  7. Bren
    Bren
    whoops, sorry Christian!
    Posting while trying to multitask!
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine video and playing, Christian. Cape Breton does indeed produce so many fine tunes.
  9. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Sound'n good there Christian!
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Homely and comforting mood, Christian. I am not sure if Cape Breton musicians even know that, because normally their repertoire is like the Irish, only with other names and double the speed.
    That strum is much more sophisticated than most you hear from guitar players trying to add groove to a waltz (which is not as easy as dancing it)
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Christian – this is just a beautiful recording of a beautiful waltz!
  12. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks everyone! Cape Breton even seems to have its own fiddle style.
    Michael, I record the backup first,then the melody.
    Bren, the version you linked is great. Peter Ostroushko was a fantastic mandolin player.
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Excellent tune, CC. Cape Breton is a very musical place in all aspects of instruments. I think their kids are born with some sort of music gene in them. I just finished recording a Peter Ostroushko tune - and Emory (teacher) knew him well and played with him on many occasions.