Der Lavede En Herlig Mand

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    This happy tune comes from Sønderho, a small village on the island of Fanø off the southwest coast of Denmark. The tune comes with a story: “There was a wonderful man, and he says we must drink! There was an abstainer, and he says we must not! " So is the tune happy because we are drinking or happy because we are not or both?

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, I'm happy either way, well done!
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I’m very happy to hear you posting tunes David.
    Lovely tune and so nice to hear your concertina as well.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    The tune is happy because both start to smoke and the smoke becomes music, apparently
    This is the typical Scandinavian straightforward style that doesn't know how to cry.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a cheery wee tune, David. I am glad to see the OldSausage cartoon format beginning to be taken up by others here. Your video is so very appealing, especially towards the end where the two protagonists join forces to travel down that very long road.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    John, that was a river, not a road.
    And the two people left the group because they were washed away in the rapids.
    And drank too much water.

It’s a happy story because the others carried on drinking and didn’t know what happened.
    It’s poetry. I’m surprised you didn’t see that John!
  7. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    What a beautiful tune to wake up by! Thanks David! The video reminds me of verry early computer graphics, circa 1980-90's. In a good way, for sure!
  8. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    John Kelly wrote: "I am glad to see the OldSausage cartoon format beginning to be taken up by others here."

Hey now, I would have to respectfully take issue with that designation, because some of us have been doing cartoon animations for a while already. In my 2015 video (almost 7 years ago) of Black Velvet Waltz (music played by oldtime fiddler Gil Kiesecker) I created literally every single bit of the visuals completely 100-percent from scratch (starting with blank layers in Adobe Photoshop, then importing what I created there into Adobe After Effects), including the spinning tape spools (those were interesting to make, and yes the two spools are supposed to be rotating at different speeds) and the rising/setting moon (starts at 0:50), clouds, radio including knobs and dial etc, and background gradients were all created from scratch. No clip-art or pre-existing images whatsoever in that video. Of course it's also rather simplistic, I realize that.

However, on the other hand, in a different video, Mouse In The Mug, posted in 2017 (almost 5 years ago) I *did* use stock internet clip-art but modified it so that the dancing rodents (at 0:10 and elsewhere) are holding mandolins instead of canes, also I improved the shadows below them (more suitable shadow shapes, and transparency instead of solid). It's not a smooth animation though, as I was getting tired of dealing with all the frames/layers, but I did manage to make them 'dance' in time (sort of) to the music.

Oh and I almost forgot - sailboats, a starfield, and a UFO in this 2017 animated version of Nancy Ann (not much else visual going on in that one though, in retrospect I guess I could have probably done something more interesting with it).

<whining> (Although almost no one ever watches my videos so probably hardly anyone is aware of either of those videos. I suppose I will have to eventually start cross-posting to lots of other places just to get the same exposure that everyone else has.) </whining> EDITED to add: A minute ago I just went and cross-posted some of my videos over on the other main forum. Maybe that's what I should have been doing all along but I'm oldschool and thought cross-posting to multiple pages was bad. Guess it's different now?

Yes John I agree that it's fun to see more of these types of things here at Song-a-Week, and I may someday make some more of them myself if I ever get around to it, but I wouldn't want anyone thinking it's some copycat thing. In my case I wouldn't be copying OldSausage but rather I would just be making more of the same sort of thing I started out on 7 years ago.

Anyway, that's a great tune David, and I like the way you play it, and it's a fun video presentation.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A very happy tune, played superbly as usual.
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Re river or track, Simon. I have had another look at David's video and surely the river is flowing out of the picture - coming down from the high ground in the hills in the background? So the two figures are not being washed away but are going upstream against the current - in poetic terms they are going against the natural flow, that of the allegorical group of drinkers. But anyway, still a great wee video and David's usual high standard of arranging and playing.

Jess, apologies for not being aware of your earlier video output, fine examples of which you have highlighted in your reply. My comment was based only on the very recent postings which David Mold has been putting up featuring Bob and his assorted musical animals. Although we almost all use YouTube to post our videos I for one rarely go to it otherwise, other than when I get a notification from someone I have subscribed to. I appreciate the great efforts that are put in by anyone who attempts to do animations - it is sufficiently time-consuming just doing the videos that most of us create to back our tunes.
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks to everyone for commenting, good feedback is the life blood for continuing this process. River or road? Drink or abstain? it seems that ambiguity is the master of the day. We seldom seem to talk about the process of how we learn tunes and turn them into videos, other than the mechanics of instruments and equipment. Recently that has been my focus. Selecting the tune, finding recordings and notation, coming up with chords and arrangements and the process of recording the music and then making a video. My process has gotten much longer since the early days of this group, I originally recorded this tune in Ab because I learned the tune from a video of a clarinet player and boy was that tough. Concertina and bass no problem in Ab but the guitar and mandolin were not sounding right and I am not found of using a capo so it went back to it's original key of G. A very long process but worthwhile at the end of the road/river.
  12. Munnix
    Munnix
    What a happy tune. Nicely done!
  13. John W.
    John W.
    Each to their own, David…I’m presently drinking a glass of red wine, catching up with SAW publishings…and enjoying myself!
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I must have watched this video directly on YouTube and neglected to comment here as well. I'm currently listening for something like the 10th time, which shows how much I like this tune. It can be difficult to capture this cheerful mood, but your recording does it perfectly. I look forward to each new verse while listening, but I really like the ending too when it comes.
  15. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Yes, one happy tune played so well and a cool video. Sounds like a drinking tune to me, but I'm having a dry January so I won't.