What is considered a long time playing?

1. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hey All:

First thing, sorry I haven't been speaking up much but I've been lurking around and seen some amazing things from all of you. So much fun to watch and be a part of.

Second; I've been asked and have heard the question, "How long you've been playing?" and that got me thinking, what's a long time? I've been playing just over 1.5 years. Is that a long time? Just curious on the responses.

Otto
  2. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    2-1/2 years for me, Otto, and I feel like such a beginner! -maybe because I don't play another instrument.
  3. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    Bearing in mind that some people in the “grown up” part of the forum have been playing for more than 30 years tha5 could be a benchmark?

I’ve owned a mandolin for about two and a half years but only been playing seriously for about 9 months.
  4. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    All mandolin time together, or continously? I first picked up a mando 15 years ago. About 4 years continously now. Like Sherry, I still feel like such a beginner.
  5. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Yikes! I was hoping to feel like a pro 4 years in!
  6. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Two and a half years for me +/- . No graduation plans in sight.
  7. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    will be 3 in March. And based on a mike marshal youtube video I'm apparently and intermediate player Still feel like a beginner
  8. McHull
    McHull
    5 months for me. I'm thinking it may be awhile before I can quit my job and go on the road!
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Heya Otto, you know already that the question is relative. What's a long time? If you're waiting on a client to pay an invoice it's different than waiting for a light to change or for beans to sprout in the garden.

I've been playing guitar for 50 years, and I feel that's a long time. Been playing mandolin about as long as Kevin and Henry; I don't think that's a long time. But the years will fly by, as they've done in the past.
  10. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Yes, no recording sessions happening for me in the near future. I think what I would consider playing for a while us when I can play any tune put in front of me and not be overwhelmed by it. Thanks for all the responses, interesting to see that we all think the same a little bit
  11. Bunnyf
    Bunnyf
    I don't know how long a long time would be but I've played ukulele for about 6 years and I've learned that after about two years people start expecting you to be better than you are. By six, they think you should be killin' it. Sadly, this is not true and despite considerable practice, I would still only label myself as early-middling intermediate. I joke that I'm gonna begin telling folks that I just started, then they might be impressed by my mediocre playing. I just got my mandolin for Xmas, and am really enjoying it. Haven't picked up the uke much lately.
  12. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    For no apparent reason, (other than an ignorant inclination from childhood), I have always thought of 5 years as a substantial period of playing time . . . a period in which I would have said to myself; "After 5 years, he/she must be pretty good". Based on the fact that I have been playing music for nearly 39 years, and only in just the past 6 months have a begun to feel mildly comfortable as a player, (not on mandolin); I now know that my initial theory may very well be wrong - but for some reason that stupid 5-year timeline still sticks in my mind.
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    For a minute I was discouraged by Bunny's and Mike's posts since I expect to be greatly improved after 5 years. For me it will be 3 years in May. I'm clearly still a beginner, but am constantly working on multiple things to improve my playing and expand the types of things I can do. Playing at a weekly jam session for the past six months has greatly improved my playing and my confidence. We true newbies haven't played a lot of years, but as long as we're striving to improve our playing, we can look forward to great reward from our efforts. Not well said, but I hope you get the gist.
  14. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Kevin, can you please direct me to that Mike Marshall video?
  15. mandoweather
    mandoweather
    I'm sure you've heard the old expression(myth) that it takes 10,000 hrs to become an "expert" at anything. At my current rate that would make me an expert in about 27 years. But seriously, I bought my mandolin 14 months ago and have been "playing" now for 11 months. Still a long way to go but having fun. I think the most useful advice I've had was to record yourself playing to help gauge your progress because at times I've felt like I've made little progress, and then I've played back something I recorded earlier to find that yes, I have improved. Maybe not always a major improvement, but progress nonetheless.
    -Bill
  16. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    PLEASE don't let my long and arduous musical journey discourage anybody. My own severe lack of coordination, mental capacity, musical outlets, jamming companions, skill, and/or talent should NOT serve as a timeline for anyone but me. EVERY person's musical aptitude is different - some people catch on very quickly, and within weeks they sound like they have been playing all their lives . . . some take several months or a few years to become proficient . . . . and, unfortunately, some people simply never get past the beginner or low-level intermediate stages.

Study, play, and (most of all) enjoy - and see where YOUR own abilities take YOU.
  17. Stacey Morris
    Stacey Morris
    Hi Otto.

I am embarrassed to admit it , but I think I am one of the people Mike referred to that never gets past the beginner or low-level intermediate stage. I have been trying to learn mandolin for about 3 years. I started with an inexpensive mandolin that had problems, and in March of 2016 with my wife's agreement I bought an Eastman mandolin from The Mandolin Store. When I started, I was trying to learn chords so I could play at sing-alongs (mostly in church). Then, I bought one of Marilyn Mair's books, and basically started over. My biggest impediment to getting better is putting in enough practice time. I know what my problem is, but still have trouble staying motivated. This site helps tremendously to help keep me motivated.
  18. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Morris

I'm in the same boat when it comes to practice time. If I can't get my hour in, I at least get 3-4 ten minute "sessions" throughout the day, at least I'm picking it up.
  19. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    this one Sherry .
  20. Guitfiddle Mike
    Guitfiddle Mike
    I got my first guitar when I was 15. Nearly 40 years ago. I've played it (or bass guitar) on and off through different musical ventures and phases. I consider that a LONG time. I can usually hold my own in a rock or blues type setting but let me tell you, this bluegrass music makes me feel like a total beginner on guitar. It's a whole different world to me. I feel like some of this picking is and always will be out of my league. But it's growing on me and I've just got to give it a try. I've had my mandolin for 12 days now and loving it so far.
  21. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Thanks, Kevin.
  22. clee01l
    clee01l
    This month marks the start of my third year. At 71, this marks my full extent of music training even though I have wanted to play a mandolin for as long as I remember. The reason for the mandolin is that growing up it was the only musical instrument in the house AND no one could play it. Two years ago I was retired (had the time, had the money) and wandered by a storefront music school that advertised music lessons for (among other things) stringed instruments. When I got home and went on line to check further, Mandolin was one of the instruments listed. I signed up and my instructor is named Willie. (FWIW, Willie has a little dog named Waylon).
    If you will not a little further up in the posts, HonketyHank also claimed 2 + years experience. The difference of what he can do and the noises that come from my mandolin is night and day. Two years + belies the fact that Henry was an accomplished 5 string banjo player 50 years ago. I've always envied Henry for his musical skills for as long and I have known him (50+ years).

From the beginning I struggled with chord strum patterns (DDUDU etc.) Melody with individual notes has been a little easier and today chords that spam more than three frets are literally "out of my reach". I'm working up the courage to create a music video for consumption here in this group. Stay tuned...
  23. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Clee01, I have never been anything but purely selfless and started picking this instrument up for the exact same reasons. I've always wanted to play like Bill Monroe, and I have loved bluegrass music ever since I was a kid and heard it for the first time. Keep it Clee, and don't hesitate to upload a video, we are all friends here.
  24. Sleet
    Sleet
    I see it's been three years since I first held a mandolin. Progress is slow for this musically ignorant seniors, not helped by my lack of instrumental monogamy. Turns out I always wanted to be a fiddler when I grew up and didn't know it. What a challenge and so much fun.