String breakage

1. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I just broke another E string while changeing strings. It has been a long time since I did that, but I used to break them fairly often when changeing.

Some thoughts:

1a. This mandolin is the one where it happens most frequently. I am pretty sure the nut slots were cut for light or ultra light guage strings and I use mediums. I have been meaning to get out my feeler-guage-fret-files and dress the nut slots up a bit, so I went ahead and did it just now.

1b. Other culprits could be bridge slots, burr on the tuning post, or somehow getting a kink in the string while tightening it up.

2a. I keep a few extra E and A strings around, so no problem - I have eight strings on that mandolin now.

2b. You can buy spare strings as singles online if you can't get them at your local music store.

2c. If you don't have acid-sweaty hands corroding your strings like crazy, it is likely that your G and D strings will need replacing much more frequently than your A and E strings. Next time you change out your strings, change only the G and D. Save your new A and E strings as spares. Except for string guage, the A's and E's are all plain steel and pretty much the same from one brand to another.

3. After a few full string changes, you will probably develop your own personal technique that reduces the need for three hands or tape or magic to get the new string on nice and neat and intact.
  2. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Always do my string changes in daylight. Tried once at night while watching a movie on TV. Way too dark for my old eyes.
    BJ
  3. FredK
    FredK
    +1 on changing in daylight, or at least with plenty of light. I've gotten to the point that I use a headlamp so I can see better while threading through the post. Just upgraded to the EXP74s about 2 weeks ago which should give me some more time between changes. May even consider magnification on next go round but haven't made up my mind if (1) it will help and (2) what type - lighted head mount or lighted magnifying lamp.
  4. Minorkey
    Minorkey
    I tried setting the bridge on my cheap A style ages ago, and one of the high Es snapped; they were a new set, put on by the shop staff. After much fiddling I tuned it up as a 7 string and then kinda gave up on it. I can't afford a decent instrument so will have to make do, and hopefully get a set up done after Christmas.
  5. FredK
    FredK
    Email Rob Meldrum (see https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...hlight=meldrum) and send off for his free PDF on setting up your mandolin. It may help you to get your instrument back up to 8 strings.
  6. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I just finished my first complete string change. I ended up doing OK with it. It took me a long time, but I'm sure that was mostly out of an abundance of caution. Only got one string on the wrong hook and got that taken care of. I'm gonna need some small wire cutters to trim up my ends. the wire cutters I used are for fencing...I trimmed 'em, but not down real close.
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I discovered that the steel in the strings is harder than the steel in cheap wire cutters (like from Harbor Freight). What works for me is one of those string cutter / knob winder combo thingies. I hate it for winding, but the cutter end of it works much better than the cheap wire cutter nippers did.
  8. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    I have had the same experience wire wire cutters as Hank. The cheap winder/cutter tool is actually a good tool for trimming strings.
    BJ
  9. Southern Man
    Southern Man
    I was gonna look at some wire cutters in a craft store. People use for making jewelry and the like. Those are pretty small and I believe pretty durable. Anybody have experience with that?
  10. FredK
    FredK
    I have several wire cutters in my tool bag but most of them don't work well for cutting steel strings. It was always a frustration when I changed guitar strings. After buying my mando last year and looking at combination winder/cutters, I opted for a pair of Clauss 18429 Titanium Wire Cutters off Amazon Prime for around $10 just for string changes since I already had a string winder. It works for me.