The New Dawning

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This tune was composed by the fine Ayrshire fiddler Alistair McCulloch back in 1998. It marked the end of his studies for his music degree and also the inauguration of the new Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh. It is the latest Ontario/Argyll collaboration between me and Ginny Aitchison, Ginny playing mandolin and I added mandola and guitar.

2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    What a beautiful tune! A very tasteful performance
  3. Brian560
    Brian560
    John and Ginny: that sounds fantastic
  4. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    John is playing a mandola he recently completed building and it sounds great. Congratulations to both on your collaboration and recording.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A wonderful tune and marvellous performance.
    That architecture in the pics is rather intriguing; it might go unnoticed among the modern stuff they have in Glasgow, but it seems downright daring for Edinburgh standards.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for kind comments, folks.

Bertram, the building was designed by Spanish architect Enric Miralles and begun in 1999. It ran hugely over budget and took longer to complete than was anticipated and was not in use until September 2004 when the first sitting of the parliament took place. By this time Moralles had died, so he did not see his creation in use.

Alistair's tune marks the inauguration of the parliament, which met until the completion of the new building in the General Assembly Hall of the Church of Scotland on the Mound in Edinburgh - a much more traditional piece of architecture, I have to say.
  7. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely stuff John, been a while from i've visited Edinburgh, this makes me want to return
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, G. Maybe I can claim commission from the tourist board?
  9. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Very nicely done, John & Ginny.
  10. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    This is quite the lovely tune and performance. Bravo Ginny and John!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Kay. Ihave been out of the loop for afew weeks, since my wife very suddenly and totally unexpectedly passed away on 18th November. I have been following the SAW group messages when I feel like going on-line, and this message of yours today is very welcome.
    I hope to get back to some SAW activity quite soon.
  12. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm so sorry to hear that, John. Please accept my sincere condolences.
  13. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    this was a very nice start to my day today. Very nicely done and a beautiful tune.

I am so sorry to hear you lost your wife. It has to be a very hard thing to get through.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sad news, John. I wish you all the power you need.
  15. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    My sincere condolences also John. Please find comfort playing your beautiful music.
  16. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I also am sending condolences to you, John. What a shattering thing to endure.
  17. Brian560
    Brian560
    John, I would also like to offer my condolences
  18. Francis J
    Francis J
    Condolences John, I wish you well, your contributions here are often my first port of call, and I hope you find the strength to recover from your wife's passing. Ar dheis De go raibh Si.