The Orthodox Priest

1. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Here's a five-part (!) jig by the Midwest's late great Peter Ostroushko titled "The Orthodox Priest." Since Orthodox priests aren't generally known for dancing the jig, I'm pretty sure there's a joke in here somewhere, but I'm not in on what it is.

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    And not such an orthodox tune either, Mike! You make a great job of playing this one.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Mike!
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff Mike!
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The melody sounds a bit eastern...anyway, you makte that Collings sing!
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Goodness, so many notes! Well played, and thank you for bringing this tune to our attention.
  7. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Thank you all for the kind words. Peter was a fixture with the "A Prairie Home Companion" crew, which was a great friend to roots music during its long and happy tenure on NPR.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice tune and great playing Mike I like to-and-fro rhythm too.
    Do you have the abc for it?
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Peter O could write a tune--fine playing on it, Mike.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Strong tone paired with clean tone -you don't get that often. Excellent! I don't know the secret story behind that particular priest, but tune names often make discreet fun of priests, they seem to attract it like magnets.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a joke from my new, birthday present philosophy book, I’ll look for some philosophy titled tunes to learn.

Banjo player is happily strumming away while walking across a field.
    Suddenly he falls, sliding into a deep sink hole.
    About ten feet down he grabs hold of a tiny tree root, and looks up to the small circle of sky above him and shouts, ‘help!!’

A booming voice calls back- God. He says, ‘It’s ok. Just let go. I’ll save you.’
    Banjo player thinks for a second, and then shouts, ‘is there anyone else?’