Yet another Newbie!

1. gandy
    gandy
    Hello everyone,

Having been reading the cafe forum and following this group for an embarrassing nearly 18 months I thought it was really high time I de-lurked and said "hello" and introduced myself.....

This is my first ever instrument* (my mid-life crisis according to Mrs gandy!) - so it has been quite a steep learning curve.

I'm following the Hal Leonard mandolin Method - I tried a few others but preferred the hard-core standard notation only, as it made me actually learn to read music. I'm supplementing this with the Mandolin Companion by the late Alison Stephens and Chris Aquavella, and the highly recommend FFCP! I have found Mando Lessons incredible when learning some of the tunes the group picked - although seeing your videos, i've got much more practising to do!

I aim to practice an hour every day, although I do wish I could spend more time on it

Anyway, I hope to spend more time with you guys from now on.

Regards,
    Andy

*I'm actually on my third. My first was £50 Stagg I bought online from Amazon just to see whether I liked the mandolin; I quickly moved on to a Tonewood A5 - the in-house brand of the Music Room at Cleckheaton (?sp) - which I believe is made by Saga. I now have an Eastman 504 and couldn't be happier (except for the soft frets!) although I covet many others whenever I look in the classifieds.
  2. choctaw61
    choctaw61
    Hello Mr.Gandy,Welcome to the wacky world of mandolin,and of course the newbies group.Great group of folks here.Don't be bashful any questions U may have,ask away. Someone will chime in with the knowledge to answer any questions. We are all newbies here advancing at our own pace. So have fun!Now let's go play some mandolin!
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Welcome, Gandy. Come inside and warm up.
  4. gandy
    gandy
    Thanks for the welcome!
  5. MediumMando5722
    MediumMando5722
    Welcome. I've been eyeing those 504s. Something about that oval hole A is appealing to me at the moment...
  6. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    This is a pretty innocuous midlife crisis—your wife should be thrilled!
  7. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    Welcome!
  8. Trav'linmando
    Trav'linmando
    Andy, welcome. I have a 404 oval and freaking love that sound. An hour per day will have your fingertips in shape (calluses) quickly.