The Star Above the Garter (The Kerry)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This tune has a strangely melancholic mood, for a Kerry slide and for mixolydian (which both are tickets for wild merriment, normally), maybe the name gives a hint, and the playing conveys it beautifully.
    Interesting lighting, too, like playing by a fireside in a moonlit night.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Almost there in your quest, Simon, and no dropping of your standards yet. And another sans capo! Thanks for posting.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gentlemen, yes I’ll try better! -four hours of apple sauce making -that’ll do it!
    But I’ve got enough sauce for porridge and cakes for the rest of the summer, The Star above the Garter will improve! Ha, ha.
    Profuse apologies for my thinking that I could grt away with a quick tune like that at the end of the day.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Don't apologise, Simon, my comment was made in earnest. It's all good already.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    No problem Bertram, I was really talking to the dark voice in my head that tells me to stop being relaxed, and demands excellence.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Excellence is a concept from the world of competitive sports (and classical music), subdividing people in winners and losers until one lucky winner is left (who by definition is the last standing, not the best). Such cruelty must not overcast our happiness
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I used to play this tune in a set of slides at the local Irish session many moons ago. The first tune was Denis Murphy's Slide followed by John Kelly's Slide and last but not least was The Star Above The Garter. We really should learn John Kelly's Slide in honor of our esteemed colleague.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Fair enough, David. It's called "Slide Dubh" on thesession.org - that doesn't hold me back
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like the mixolydian sound. Nice playing. As John said things are good - I certainly would be posting a scale of sorts for May 1-9 just to get it done. But alas, you are a better man than I. ..or me, to be grammatically correct. (although not anatomically)
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Bertram, that's so profound and so true about excellence! Assuming your permission, I'll mention this train of thought when the next person bothers me with so-called excellence frameworks at work.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    you're welcome Dennis, but my train of thought is not well received in the corporate world and would miss fire at the consultant buzzwords you mention. There is a lot of money in the impossible dream of excellently painting by numbers.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune was voted as Tune of the Week #526.... here's the link to that discussion!