Newbie at 69

1. Dolph
    Dolph
    Evening all, very much a newbie here.. recently purchased a lower end Loar 110 A.
    And just received the set up pdf from Rob Meldrum (Thank you Rob) Will be working on that. Books I am using are Alfred and Mayor Mandolin Tutor. Looking forward to many years of enjoyment!!!
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Welcome, Dolph! My first mandolin was a The Loar and I got bought it at age 68-11/12, which rounds off to 69. So we have a lot in common already. I certainly am still having fun five years later. I may even play a little better now, too.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or let us know how you are tackling the learning process.
  3. SOMorris
    SOMorris
    Welcome, Dolph. Enjoy the journey!
  4. Sleet
    Sleet
    It's much cooler to be 69 with a mandolin than without one. Hope you love it.
  5. Dolph
    Dolph
    Thanks all for words of encouragement.. looking forward to posting more as I learn.
  6. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Lotta people starting in their 60's or so. Glad to see I'm in good company.
    Sue
  7. anniewild
    anniewild
    Just started with my first mandolin at almost 66, glad to know that I have company along this journey!
  8. Ed McGarrigle
    Ed McGarrigle
    After multiple failed attempts, at 66 a little is starting to stick. And better or us than a lot of behaviors Iíve seen some cohorts pick up over the years .
  9. darnedsox
    darnedsox
    'nother newbie @ 70 here. Just bought a mando and looking to learn. Any tips directions and advice..where and how to start etc is wayyyy welcome. I wanna keep it fun, but willing to work
    Bill
  10. darnedsox
    darnedsox
    doub;e post
    sorry
  11. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I started with a lot of visits to www.mandolessons.com . Starting with his lessons on basics and then working on various tunes. Good, clear, instructions. Free, too. I still consult his website for specific tunes and to review lessons on technique.

I'm still having fun, too.

Welcome to the oldie newbies!
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I'm a happy member of this starting-at-60+ club. What a joy it's been to play music during the pandemic!