When to retire a pick?

1. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    Hey Everyone

I've been lurking and less active then I've wanted, but technology is scaring me too much lately

Anyways, I've been looking at my pick, which is a BC, and I was wondering when a pick goes bad? Has anyone figure it out when it's time to throw out the pick and move onto a new one? Like does it break?

Otto
  2. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Jeez, don't tell me a Blue Chip wears out. I thought they were for ever. Like diamonds. Now I KNOW I like my Primetone smoothies.

Really, I am guessing that if my BC wears out (or breaks or dissolves or whatever) and I am still hanging out in the Newbies group, it might well be time for me to get kicked out of the nest.

Now, if you are wondering if that mojo might ever leave your Blue Chip, well I would guess that is possible and it might be the sign of an impending vicious PAS attack.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
  4. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    I am a low-tech pick guy. My first guitar pick was a standard Fender medium, and that is basically what I have been using ever since then. A few months ago I had some fun and ordered some nearly identical custom picks. I retire them when they break or fall into the mysterious dark abyss of my sofa.
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Let's see ...

When it's damaged and you don't feel like working on it
    When it breaks and you can't fix it
    When you're not happy with the sound of it
    When you're not happy with the feel of it
    When you find another one you like better than that one
    When you feel like it's holding you back in any way
    When you feel like you have to worry about or think about your pick too much
    When you lose it
    When one of your buddies steals it

Maybe other reasons, probably, but those are the ones I could think of.
  6. Ellsdemon
    Ellsdemon
    I don't know why I didn't get a notice about the responses to this thread, but thank you all as always for responding. Hank, I'm with you 100%, if my BC wears out I'll be disappointed for sure, but I've learned that anything human-made eventually wears out I think to be honest, I shouldn't have said that it was just the BC, but any pick.

I was playing around with picks that I've had since I bought my first mandolin and I was wondering if there is really a time when you say, I need a new one. Kind of like with strings, they start to sound different, always need tuning, etc...

But, I think Mark answered all the points that I could be come up for a new one.
  7. Roger Moss
    Roger Moss
    I don't know. They always get swallowed up by the couch long before they wear out.