Out on the Ocean

1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Lockdown collaborations don't just keep us sane and connected, they're also great fun! So here's one between Simon and me:

It seems strange, with this group's penchant for Irish music, that Out on the Ocean has never been a "song of the week" or "other tune". But I can't find it in either table of contents, so here's a new thread! I always think about this as a "dreamy" rather than a "muscular" jig, and it certainly evokes gently rolling waves and the wide-open space of the sea. Take it as a kind of homage to the holidays that we may, or may not, be able to enjoy in this crazy year.

Simon and I started with a melody track as a base and recorded each track separately to align with it. We shared MP3 recordings online, mixed everything into a single audio file, and added some pictures of the sea (or other bodies of water) taken in France and England.

Enjoy the summer!
  2. Leo37
    Leo37
    Wow, like it - its a wall of sound and rhythm.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff lads, and yes, isn't it odd that such a classic tune never ended up posted in the group before!
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Everyone is collaborating. Great to see.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Marvellous effort, Dennis and Simon. This co-operation process is really taking off in a big way. I loved the mandolin tremelo around 1:20.
    What and who next, I wonder?
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice music and pictures!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Dennis (who did most of the work on this one).
    Dennis begins with the mandolin. I did the two harmonised OM tracks played one octave above -capo job and one octave below. My favourite part as John pointed out is where Dennis comes in with the mandolin tremolo, then his flutes and whistles too. I’m happy with the result, it does sound like a full concert!

I think this is the second or third tune I ever tried to learn. I had lots of repeated mistakes on it, couldn’t play it, so this time around it was a pleasure to iron them all out.

Thanks also to Dennis’ technological expertise in the post production editing phase -trying to decide which instruments go where is a big job.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    "I think that might be it"
    And dreamy it is indeed, also the pictures could go well with Pink Floyd's Grantchester Meadows.

I can't believe I never recorded that, must search for it, probably hidden at the end of some set. If not, I'll record it.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done lads.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Didn't find it, so here goes...

Who said this is not a muscle jig? Any tune with an open G string must be a muscle tune.
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yep, you've convinced me.
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    I love the two distinct versions of this - nice job, you three!
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for both versions.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    thanks Dennis, bbcee and Frithjof
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine decisive playing Bertram.
    That book on the table, it looks like one of my repertoire books. How many do you have?
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    actually, it's a bible, Simon.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Bertram - I had some help here (yesterday was a stat holiday- Canada Day) and found most of the artist's pictures you wanted to know about. Do you want me to email them to you? Or, I'm not sure if you were kidding me...? I'm like Simon, I thought that was like one of my overflowing tune books.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Send me a PM with the names of the artists, please, Ginny. No I was not kidding

My "repertoire book" is a loose collection of sheets printed from thesession.org, stuffed in a side pocket of my OM case, the more recent ones floating inside the case, under the OM. Not that decorative.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Me too, I’m interested in the names.

For repertoire, I use those ‘books’ of 60 leaf clear plastic, and I’m hyper organised!
    Each tune has it’s destination folder pretty much decided as it’s printed out, but each tune also has, for me, a sort of identity of it’s own that begins to form.
    One motivation factor is that each printed page costs me 15 cents (plus the tree).

Some folders are classed by language, country and genre. My main folder at the moment is ‘Already Posted to YT’ in posting order. I can play the playlist (and use the folder as a guide). This helps to reinforce the tunes by ear.

There are two ‘Want to record in the next two months’ folders, one is for tunes that require techniques that I’m still working on, and the other folder is for tunes that I want to record but... want to record.