Music Stand

1. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    If you are an old band geek like me, you grew up on those flimsy wire/metal music stands. They were all that was available that was portable. Sure we had cool solid metal stands at school.

Well I have just received the best portable music stand ever made IMO. I had seen one at a jam, had heard about them on the internet, and finally ordered one for myself.

If you are tired of keeping your music on a chair (or ottoman) in front of you, do yourself a favor order a Peak SMS20 stand.

NFI
  2. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    It's funny you should mention that . . .

In nearly 40 years of (attempted) playing, I have never used a music stand - but it now looks like I may be fronting a band for one show in June . . . and there is NO WAY that I will remember the chords AND lyrics for an entire hour worth of material; (especially since I haven't done a legitimate live gig in well over a dozen years), so I was starting to eye some music stands.

Thanks for the heads-up.
  3. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Kevin, thanks for that tip on the music stand. I have a super cheapo like you mentioned (probably because I too was a band geek way back when) - I really hate that thing.
  4. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    The Peak stand is the greatest thing since . . . well, finish the comparison yourself. It's the perfect compromise between portability and stability. The angle of the desk is adjustable, the desk is solid, and the feet are low, so it won't tip over. I just looked at their website and was pleased to see the carrying bags are now sold separately. (My Peak lives in my car, and the bag has been destroyed by the sun.) No, I don't work for this company, nor does anyone I know.

For anyone who needs one and won't be taking it out of the house, you can sometimes find a Manhasset—the black metal ones beloved by schools and performing groups—at a yard sale or on Craigslist. They are great for the house, but a nuisance to take anywhere.
  5. Bunnyf
    Bunnyf
    I've long ago moved to an iPad for music with an attachment to the mic stand, but previously used the peak music stand. Loved it. It was fairly light weight, stable, easy up/down, adjustable and even though the clamps were plastic, they were functional and durable. Nice generous shelf too, good for a larger binder (from my paper days). I see folks struggle with those flimsy metal ones, falling over, try to hold big books. Those kind are really just meant for a bit of sheet music or a small method book. I usually recommend a Peak to them. I notice now they are available in black now, which I much prefer, mine was blue.
  6. MikeZito
    MikeZito
    I just saved $35 . . . we didn't get hired to do the June gig - they are looking for 'startup bands' so they don't have to pay them.

Pathetic.
  7. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    "I've long ago moved to an iPad for music with an attachment to the mic stand"

I wish my eyes were good enough to do that, Bunny. I find that even with my laptop, I either can't see a whole page or the "print" is too small, so I print to paper and use a stand.

I use the Manhassat stands, I got a sweet deal on 3 of them from a school a few years ago. I don't remove them from the house/studio. I usually memorize music & lyrics for jamming or performing, but have thought about getting a portable stand and bringing some sheets to help with my poor memory. Sounds like the Peak would be the ticket.
  8. Bunnyf
    Bunnyf
    Mark, I'm older and my eyes sure aren't great, but using Onsong, I can format and edit my songs so that they fit on one page and have the font and margins set so maximize visibility and it's pretty readable to me. But anyway...the Peak stand was great and I'd buy it again if I were looking for a stand.
  9. Radish
    Radish
    Hmmm. Just giving this a try: anybody in the UK reading this who can recommend something local? The ones recommended here look great, but the shipping is highway robbery. And what I can find has both raving and ranting reviews, so I'd rather have something that a fellow player uses/can recommend.