Ookpik Waltz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    No that isn't a typo,

here is what I found:
    An Ookpik (sometimes spelled Ukpik), the Inuktitut word for Snowy Owl, was a popular Inuit handicraft toy. It was a small, souvenir owl with large head and big eyes, a beak, and small black talons. They are often made from wolf fur, sealskin and other traditional materials.

Here is a recording of my wife playing it on the fiddle:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Valley...7318?ref=share

oops sorry can't upload this, but you can go to the music player on our facebook page and find it towards the bottom.

How many lick's does it take to get to the center of a lollipop?

I can't find a good tabs (that I like) so I am trying to learn it by ear.
    So far at least 2 dozen and still working on it. I'll put in my effort as soon as I can get something close.

If any of y'all are good at picking up tunes by ear and are interested in this one or already know it I would like to hear your version.

and here is another recording I found here at the cafe:
    http://homepage.mac.com/philg2/.Music/OokpikV2.mp3
  2. willh
    willh
    Chris,

Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh recorded this with Altan on their "Another Sky" CD. It is slightly different than the version your wife plays and worth a listen.

Your group sounds good. I'll have to go back and listen to some of the rest of the tunes when I have time.

Will
  3. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    How coincidental. I don't know this one yet, but my OT ensemble class played it LAST NIGHT to end the class. I'll try and record a version tonight if I can figure it out.

Don
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's a wonderful tune, wonderfully played, I can almost see that cute snow owl flying in circles, trying to decide which of the two snow rabbits it should catch (as the fiddle slides seem to suggest) - Lesson: Don't drink and fly.

Don't know about Tabs, but thesession.org has these ABC:

X: 1
    T: Oot Pik
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Gmaj
    (3D/E/F/|"G"G>F G/B/ "D"A G E/D/| "G"E G>A G B d| "Em"e>d e/f/ ed B/G/|"G"B d>e d2 B/d/|
    "Em"e>d e/g/ e d B/A/| "G"B d B/A/ "Em"G E D| "C"C> B, C/E/ "D"D F E/D/|"G"E G>A G B d|
    "Em"e B>A B2 e| "Bm"d B>A B2 B| "Am"A>G A/B/ A G E/D/|"Em"E G A G B d|
    "Bm"e B>A B2 f/e/|d B>G B2 B| "Am" A>G A/B/ A G E/D/| "Em"E G E "D" D2||

Bertram
  5. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    thanks, we are mostly just hacks but my wife is a pretty good fiddle player and a fair singer.

That Altan was a good version -thanks.

Here are the chords:
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    ChrisStewart, I really like your version! I can't really make the session.org version work. Working on yours (by ear) and have it close, but would love to see tab or notation if you can come up with it!
  7. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    I have not tried to write tabs, my wife learned that from Texas Shorty and wrote down several tunes of his (probably in standard notation) because he only played by ear. So maybe she has it.

I find the Altan version a bit easier to follow and am just here working on it so I will have a version coming up.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's ABC from Fiddler's Companion that is easier for me to work with. When you convert it, it's still a little screwy, but easier to follow:

X:1
    T:Oot Pik
    M:3/4
    L:1/4
    Q:90
    R:waltz
    K:G
    |(3D/E/F/|"G"G> F G/B/| "D"A G E/D/| "G"E G> A| G B d| "Em"e>d e/f/| ed
    B/G/| "G"B d>e| d2 B/d/| "Em"e>d e/g/|e d B/A/| "G"B d B/A/| "Em"G E D
    | "C"C> B, C/E/| "D"D F E/D/| "G"E G> A| G B d|| "Em"e B> A| B2 e| "Bm"d
    B> A| B2 B| "Am"A> G A/B/| A G E/D/|"Em"E G A|G B d| "Bm"e B> A|B2 f/e
    /| d B>G| B2 B| "Am" A> G A/B/| A G E/D/| "Em"E G E| "D" D2||
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Mandozine has a couple straight forward tabledit versions in G and one in A. Search for Ook pik and ookpik.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Barb, you're right, that version looks much better. I might have arrived there coming from the thesession.org version via my usual simplification process, but you found the shortcut.
    Teaches me again to take thesession.org sources with a grain of salt, some posters there have a weird way of writing all their ornamentation down, forcing us to do forensics for the real tune behind.

Bertram
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I really like the way the Chris' wife plays it best! The sessions tune is trying to include the ornamentation, but many of the measures, I couldn't get to add up to 3 beats! Barb
  12. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I'm pretty sure that Curtis Buckhannon passed out some tab or notation for this song at a recent workshop at The Folkschool of St. Louis. I'll try and dig that out soon.

For those that don't know Curtis, he's a GREAT old time mandolin player, played with many bands, including the Il Mo Boys and The Buckhannon Brothers.
    Don
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, HERE are the search results for Tab Edit files on Mandozine.
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, I really like trying to find tunes in several places, and compare them, and compare them to how I find them recorded. Somewhere in all those variations, I can usually come up with something that appeals to me! Barb
  15. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Well I have been trying to write down the Altan version in tab format it it is very difficult. It has taken hours to get the first part A.

I guess the benefit is you do learn the tune very well by the time you get it written down

the Richard Levine version at mandozine is pretty close and all of them us a Bm in part B that I like better.
  16. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Here is what I have so far:

This is a bit different than the version my wife plays.
  17. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Here is the vid:

18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, I finally got to the point that I thought I could play this well enough to video, even though I still have to have the notation to make sure of my place! Took my new video camera outside (yes, listen closely, and you can hear the birds singing, too!) It was going pretty well, till.... well, you'll see!

Then, I tried it again. We live on the prairie (or maybe the plains, I'm not sure of the difference!) where the wind often blows! So, there's some wind noise, but not too bad. Still made some mistakes, but I love this tune!

19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Apparently, you got your camera issues fixed, Barb, looks great (in fact, closer to heaven ) and sounds good.

I have started practising, need to work out the right double stops to make it harmonically plausible for my Irish-tune-pampered ears - especially that lonely low C leaves me puzzled. Another problem for me is the structure - no clear A and B part, not so easy to navigate where I am at any given point, several typical ending phrases but then the tune just keeps going.
    We'll see.

Bertram
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    If anyone is interested in the standard notation for how I've arranged it, I can post it. It's kind of a mixture of the different ones I found.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Iowa in the spring time IS pretty much like heaven!
  22. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Barb, that looks like a good gig out there. I may have to put my camera on the notebook.

On my version it is played A B A or A A B B A -and so forth.
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    My version came out so it's two A's, then a B part that is as long as the two A parts, the last part of the B part is almost exactly like the A part, then I have a 'tag' ending. I only played it through once, then the tag ending, but you could do it twice... that's where it gets confusing, when you come back around, and you can't remember just where you are, since you play what sounds like 3 A's in a row....
  24. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Yeah, I like those minor keys
  25. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's my OokPik... up to now the only thing I have from Inuit is Quicken and Turbo-Tax...

26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Great Eddie, now I can hear it too - there's an Irish toe-tapping lift that makes the whole structure transparent to me. Thanks for blazing that trail

Bertram
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    That toe-tapping lilt is 1, 2, 3...1, 2, 3... I just have to remember to lead....
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie you have so many instruments... which one is that? Sounds so pretty! Good job!
  29. Eddie Sheehy
    That's an Eastman DGM1 - The Dawg. It's a Corrada Giacomel copy.
  30. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Barbara, maybe your new camera has a better mic or maybe it's the ambient qualities of being outside but your Collings sounds brilliant in those clips - really bell-like!

Eddie, lovely version there!
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Jill, it's probably both PLUS, new strings and just getting better with age!
  32. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Those Eastman's have a wonderful tonal quality for the instruments they are. That's a great Irish feel, Eddie. But then I'd expect nothin' less from a man with the name of Sheehy! I bet your version would translate very nicely to an Irish tenor banjo.
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here is mine - I thought lots of double stops would convey more of the interesting harmonic structure than the simple melody alone can deliver. However, my harmonics go astray from the written chords at some points. At least, that's how I like it - a little more melancholic (I have read somewhere that the Inuit used to believe that when somebody dies, the ookpik carries away his soul).

Bertram
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, very nice. I love the sound of OM's & citterns, but you knew that!
  35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I think I've got the YouTube thing working. I really like this waltz--it's so beautiful and full of emotion. My version ended having some tremolo and some slides. I've heard this tune before but never got around to learning it. Thanks for adding this one to the group. I'm reading the notation off the screen while I'm recording, so I don't smile till the very end.

Hope this works.
  36. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Trying to get the video to embed again. Mandolin is a Gilchrist Model 1.
  37. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    One more try.

In case it doesn't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raCTDpU_FFA
  38. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Nice Don and Bertram, I like the slides and other embellishments y'all added.
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, that's great, and such a s-w-e-e-e-t sounding mando! I just love this tune!
  40. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I love this tune too. It really got ahold of me when I heard it this time and I had to learn it.
  41. woodwizard
    woodwizard
    Ya'll sound great! Didn't know you guys & gals were playing that one until Eddie told me on another thread today. It's a fairly new one for me that our OT fiddler plays all the time and I had just learned it. Guess I need to pay more attention over here. It really looks like fun posting the videos. One of these days I'll have a way to do that I hope. I really like that tune. Lot's of room for embellishments
  42. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've been meaning to record this one for some time, and today got around to it -- I know a number of people in the UK folk/old-time session scene who play this one quite frequently. I know it as "Oot Pik Waltz", but there are bewilderingly many names and spellings for this tune.

This is the version from Mandozine, including the chords (which are a bit different from how most sites have them). The tune was written by Frankie Rodgers (1936-2009), a Canadian fiddler. Double-tracked on my 1989 Washburn M3-SW (right channel) and tenor guitar (left channel), with a tenor guitar rhythm. Good chance to give the Washburn a runout -- it's a good instrument which I don't use as often as I should as I usually pick up the Ajr or the Mid-Mo up first.

Martin
  43. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson

Been working on Chris Thile's arrangement of this song for a while now. It's one of my favorites to play.
  44. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice Ookpiks, Eddie, Don, Martin and Michael.
    When I started to learn this tune, I looked it up at Youtube and found the Version by Chris Thile and Michael Davies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0O6FPKVoQ
    Fantastic guitar- and mandolinplaying!
    But knowing, that I'm neither good at flatpicking guitar nor at throwing in hot mandolin licks, I didn't even try to emulate their version.
    Instead, I picked the chords on my classical guitar and tremoloed the melody on my bowlback.
  45. crisscross
    crisscross
    I had made a mistake on my first recording, I had overlooked the triplet at the beginning and played three eighth notes instead. Now, who am I to mess with such a nice tune? So, I re-recorded it with the triplet, using my Breedlove FF, the closest thing I have to a Bluegrass mandolin:
  46. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice Crisscross, wonderful smooth flow of the rhythm. I’m getting so motivated to play these waltzes!
    Do you have, by any chance, the notation or better still the tab of the Chris Thile version?
  47. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great Michael, it’s like you’ve got the Thile version worked out, thanks.
    And really nice Crisscross, wonderful smooth flow of the rhythm. I’m getting so motivated to play these waltzes!
    Do you guys have, by any chance, the notation or better still the tab of the Chris Thile version?
  48. crisscross
    crisscross
    Many Thanks, atsunrise!
    You can find tabs for the Thile version here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...tz-Chris-Thile
    But that's beyond my modest abilities!
  49. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks for the link.
    I’m hoping that with the Octave it’ll be easier since I have more space on the fretboard to move around in, yes definitely
    But there are some sounds on that Thile Davies recording that I didn’t know that a mandolin could make.
    I’ll post part A if I get that far...
  50. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful tune, Criss -- nice version.

I first recorded this many years ago as a simple mandolin and tenor guitar duet. However, we've been playing this tune for some years with our group in one of Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni's arrangements, so today I finally got around to recording that arrangement.

The various transcriptions online vary a lot. Evelyn's is quite a bit different to the version Criss has recorded -- the tempo and phrasing in my version is more or less in line with Jay and Molly's recording (just not as good). Thile's version is much slower, whereas Frankie Rodgers' original recording is very fast indeed (and differs in many other respects from all the subsequent covers).

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast