Inisheer (Traditional)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I know it's not a song o' the week but I just love this melody. Ye can almost smell the peat fires burnin' (sorry, I have no sheep)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuqJadqZvNk

Michael
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Really lovely playing there David.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Look, Michael, David even provided some sheep for you...

I am playing this for quite a while now and I will post a version when I find the time.

The island of Inisheer (Inis Oirr, the smallest of the three Aran isles) will forever stay in my memory as the worst case of seasickness I ever experienced. I was staying in Doolin Co. Clare at the time, and decided to cross to Inisheer in one of those tiny fishing boats. There had been a storm the previous day, and the waves were approx. twice as high as the boat. My stomach was empty long before we reached the landing - dismbarking was kind of a feat because you had to pick the right moment to jump - and I laid down on the beach (decorated with a few currachs) feeling utterly miserable and looking forward to the return trip... :-(====
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Very nice, David, i like the hammer-ons, neat sound, and thx for the sheep
    M
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Inis Oirr? In Gaeilge it is Inis Thiar (West Island). - Inis Thoir would be East Island (somewhere in the Pacific I believe). Bertram, have you noted how closely the fishing boats follow the ones carrying tourists. Shame to waste all that free chum... It's a really great tune but I can't help but find the second part a "little odd"...
  7. pdxpicker
    pdxpicker
    Hello, all--
    First post here, but I've been lurking awhile. I used to play Inisheer on celtic harp (before some joint problems interfered) and love it. It is not trad, but composed by Thomas Walsh, contemporary Irishman. In the arrangement by Beth Kolle, for folk harp, she suggests the second measure (not counting pick up) move from G major chord to B minor, so there is a lovely depth to the melancholy. I would try to add video, but am yet at that point in my playing.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Eddie, to be frank, I wasn't in the mood to look out for other boats then

As for the Irish name, I got it here.
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    I stand corrected Bertram - it is indeed Easter Island... also calling it Inis Thiar (West Island) is just to confuse the Sassenachs...

"The three Aran Islands, Inis Mór Island (Big Island), Inis Meáin Island (Middle island) and Inis Oírr Island (East island)

I hope your return trip was less eventful...
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well, Eddie, the return trip was just as bad, only this time I was not surprised, and it is more painful with nothing in your stomach.
    The Irish name for the Easter Island in the Pacific, btw., is Rapa Nui

Anyway, here is our rendition with flute and octave mandola:
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Regina & Bertram, that was beautiful, very nicely done.
  12. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Regina & Bertram, another fantastic duet. found myself reaching for a Guinness!!!

Michael
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks David and Michael!
    Michael, you've Guinness within reach? We'll have to find a way to upload that to the Cafe, there's bound to be some freeware for that
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    From your earlier post Bertram I'd say you already uploaded a lot of Guinness... into the Atlantic...
  15. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Bertram, we may be brothers from different mothers. But why stop at Guinness? If such a program existed I'd have to add Tullamore Dew and Leo Burdocks Fish & Chips to That drop-down-menu.
    Michael
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yeah Michael, it's not called "menu" for nothing...

And Eddie, that was an upload of egg, tomato and bacon, crispy bacon to be precise. The problem with uploading that to the internet would be how to keep it warm
  17. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Bertram, having spent 8 years in the US Navy, I can sympathize with your, um, Mal-de-mer memoroies. But , IMHO the only thing worse then going to sea with an empty stomach is going to sea with a hangover. but that is another old sea story better told at another time
    Michael
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    My only seasick/hangover story is pretty funny. When my daughter was in high school, one year, we went on a trip with the German Club over spring break. Parents could go too, so I went, as did the mother of another of Hillary's friends. We flew to Germany, then bus tripped through Germany, Switzerland, and down to Italy. These kids were about 16, and if they had their parent's permission, could drink while on the trip, as it was legal over there. So, in Italy, we went to a disco, and the daughter of the other lady got pretty drunk. It was probably her first time, and she was all weepy and I seem to remember her puking on the walk back to the hotel. Well, we had to get up early the next morning, a ride a water taxi over to Venice. Poor Buffy, she was GREEN on the trip!
  19. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Quote:
    Well, we had to get up early the next morning, a ride a water taxi over to Venice. Poor Buffy, she was GREEN on the trip!

No doubt she was KELLEY Green!! which closes the loop back to Inisheer...and Bob's your Uncle
    gotta love it (but i know how she felt)
    Michael
  20. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    this sure is a beautiful tune. I first heard it played by the Irish group Danú... i'm pretty sure it's on their self titled album.
  21. Daci
    Daci
    Oh yes,I've heard this before. Just lovely.
  22. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I had to give another go at this one with my first MultiTrack-MultiMedia attempt. I guess I remember Ireland a little differently than just a bunch of green hillsides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFEW-u0g_wo

MC

BTW, my wife, Carol, is the lovely lass @ 0:48 in front of one of our favorite pubs in Dublin.
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nice and cozy, Michael! I bet there are quite a few Irish people whose event horizon is very similar with your slides
  24. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    This isn't a hangover story but it resulted in one.
    So, Carol, (my wife) and I are in Buckley's Pub in Killarny, and in those days (maybe still) in High Season they had different closeing times for tourists and locals, however, we Did Not Know this. We're sharing a table and a pint with a young couple from Adair out on holiday. All of a sudden the landlord starts flashing the lights off and on while loudly proclaiming "Closing Time, Closing Time, LOCALS ONLY".
    Well we watched all the Yanks and Aussies and Canucks dutifully file out and our young freinds said to 'just sit still'. Well, I'm sitting in Dockers and Top-siders and might as well have YANK tattoo'd on my forehead. So the landlord kinda sidles over to our table and gives us the once-over. I looked up at him and asked, "Just what do you consider 'local'??" The whole place went deadly silent and he cocked his head and surveyed me up and down with quite a scowl on his face. After a few seconds he asks "Where ye from?"
    "Chicago." i repled. < long -silent- pause > Then he throwes his arms high in the air and yells "CLOSE ENOUGH!!". The whole crowd broke into hearty laughter as the landlord locked the doors and drew us another pint.
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, very nice. You can imbed your You Tube vidoes so they show up in the discussion, rather than just linked. Start with your YouTube video, and in the url, copy the code after the "=" sign. Then, in the discussion here, you 'post reply' (rather than 'quick reply'). Type your message, and when you are ready for the video, click the 'tube' icon at the top of the message window. This opens a little window, where you 'paste' the code you copied from the url of your video, then click OK. This embeds the video directly into your message...

like this

26. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    mculliton123
    QUOTE:
    Today 08:55 AMBertram Henze
    Nice and cozy, Michael! I bet there are quite a few Irish people whose event horizon is very similar with your slides

Ah, Bertram, ya seen one green hillside ya seen 'em all, but now the Irish Pub, they're as beautiful and unique as snowflakes.
    MC
  28. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Greek Bouzouki

29. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great sound, Eddie.
  30. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Very nice, Eddie.
  31. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I figured I'd revive this one with my finger picked version on the bouzouki.
    Kyle

32. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Kyle, great version. And I really like the t-shirt!

mc
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely, Kyle - what fingerpicks do you use?
  34. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Thanks!
    Bertram, I just use my fingers... I don't like finger picks personally.
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes, there was a time when I would say that, but in the end I found my fingernails broke too often and I came to look at them as the least reliable fingerpicks I could get. Then I discovered ProPik Fingertones and clip my nails short ever since.
  36. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I keep my nails short... I sort of pluck the strings with my finger tips and not my nails.
  37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    sounds very crisp for being played with soft fingertips...
    Unless, of course, you can do what he can do...
  38. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Must be my hardened mechanics hands
    I work as an industrial millwright mechanic.
  39. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I've been finger-picking the guitar for years and the calouses on all 10 fingers are about equal. makes it harder to do some tasks tho

mc
  40. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    here's my finger-picking tutor

http://z.about.com/d/themeparks/1/0/E/l/HHN071.jpg

mc
  41. Tavy
    Tavy
    Still catching up on some of these older tunes, I first heard this played on BBC Radio 2 one Sunday morning, and have been hooked ever since... I use this one as "tremolo-practice", so hopefully my version is different enough from the others to provide some food-for-thought!

42. dave17120
    dave17120
    Nice rendition......... I always felt this was too slow for the mandolin, so I play it on the whistle...... and perhaps like you, I'm still finding my way around here...... stacks of stuff.... Dave
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    From what I hear, that tremolo doesn't require any more practise Tavy. Well done, and yes, it's one of the mandolinist's best escapes from awkward slow melodies.
  44. Tavy
    Tavy
    "From what I hear, that tremolo doesn't require any more practise Tavy."

Thanks for the kind words Bertram... but trust me everything still requires more practice... especially to get it to do what I want it to do rather than where it goes on its own

"I always felt this was too slow for the mandolin, so I play it on the whistle"

Yeah, it suites the whistle well.... but in my head I hear a whole phalanx of tremoloing mandolins playing melody and counter melody, I just wish I was clever enough to arrange and record such a thing!

John.
  45. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've been meaning to record this beautiful waltz for a long time, but so far I hadn't liked the timing on any of the takes I had made. As I've recently switched to making multi-track recordings with Audacity, I have now overcome that problem by laying down a rhythm track first on tenor guitar, and then overdubbing the tune first on tenor guitar and then on mandolin.

Played on my Ozark tenor guitar, with the Mid-Mo M-0W on the first repetition of the tune, switching to the Ajr for the second repetition just to keep matters interesting.

As it's audio-only, I've put some photos from the island of Inisheer together to go with the tune.

[Edit: Link to updated video in my next post]

Martin
  46. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Been away over Christmas and when I went on-line just now saw Innisheer revived here. Here is a link to my version on SoundCloud, using an arrangement by Trish Santer who is a regular over here on Nigel Gatherer's site.
    http://snd.sc/kZbFRK
    Played on Octave mandolin.
  47. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Listening back to the video I uploaded yesterday, I found the sound rather too unchanging over the duration, and a bit too strident. So, I've changed the mix somewhat: rather than mandolin and tenor guitar doubling on the tune throughout, it now starts with the Mid-Mo playing the tune solo over tenor guitar backing, then the Ajr taking over solo, then the tenor guitar solo, then tenor and Ajr together. Much more interesting and melodic listening this way, I think, and it's easier to pick out the tone and playing of the three individual instruments.

I've uploaded the remixed version and have replaced the original video with it.

Martin
  48. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I found the moment at 1:31 most interesting, Martin - two instruments simply playing the melody together still have that phenomenal power to make anything sound Irish. You can have chord accompaniment of orchestral dimensions, a thousand ornaments, but that's nothing against more than one melody instrument. Teaches us a lot about how to create Irishness by multitrack recording.
  49. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Bertram -- that effect is why I originally had the entire track with the tenor guitar playing in unison with the mandolins. However, I felt it was more interesting to have the full sound emerging in pieces by first have the instruments on their own. Also, playing in unison is a lot easier with instruments like the fiddle or the flute compared to plucked instruments like the mandolin or guitar -- double-tracking mandolin is a nuisance as the notes have to align exactly. The little variations that would be called "expressive playing" in a solo performance become simply untidy when playing a tune in unison, so every note needs to be played bang on the beat otherwise one hears a succession of separate plucking noises a fraction of a second apart.

Martin
  50. Tavy
    Tavy
    Nice one Martin: you're quite right that multitracking plucked instruments is tricky. I've recently been trying to record a better version of this one with the full multi-track effect, and I can testify that not-quite-in-synch tremolo doesn't sound too hot!

More practice required I guess......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast