Fastän

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Fastän was written by Eva Sæther and it is such a cool tune, I had to learn it. It is one of those tunes that teaches you to challenge your preconceived ideas about playing tunes, most important for me was to not play the first beat of the measure. This tune has several measures that start on the third beat of the measure. Like many of life's lessons, this was hard for me but oh so rewarding in the end. Fastän means "although" in Swedish.

Here's the ABCs:

X:1
    T: Fastän
    Z: pbsinclair42
    S: https://thesession.org/tunes/17623#setting33948
    R: slip jig
    M: 9/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Fmaj
    z2F-FG2 A2B | cdB- Bc2 A3 | F2E- ED2 B,2D | A3 A6 |
    z2F-FG2 A2B | cdB- Bc2 A3 | F2E- EF2 G2A | F3 F6 :|
    |: z2B- BA2 B2d | gec- c3 A3 | z2B- BA2 B2d | e3 c6 |
    z2B- BA2 B2d | gaf- fg2 e3 | c2B- BA2 F2G | F3 F6 :|
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Another one David!
    Wonderful, well done.
    I love that sense of call and response and the to and fro of whispered questions and answers. Like listening to the fairies!

I’m having a lot of fun with 7/8 time at the moment, though keeping the rhythm is quite a challenge.

(Here’s an ä if that works in the name title? - oh it works on mandolintab. net)
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks Simon, I just copied the abcs without looking at them, I've got plenty of umlaut ä's from my German lessons.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is such an interesting song, David. Very unlike our regular fare. What a challenge and a reward that must have been for you. I need to listen to it a few times, as it is so diferent and I like it. Out of my league but it does feel good to conquer something new doesn't it?
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I'll never again believe your statements about not being able to do exotic time, David, because 7/8 is a piece of cake compared to this. Scandinavian tunes seem to have that knack for evading the groove just when you think you've got it.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I still think that 7/8 is harder than 9/8, 9/8 kinda boils down to 3/4 but not quite on this tune, it's more about when not to play as opposed to forcing yourself to play unnatural downbeats.
  7. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Interesting tune, very well played!
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    What a cool tune! Your playing sounds great in black and white too.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice whimsical tune, great playing, beautiful artwork. It's just perfect.