Principessa (M.Martinotti)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    This is meant to be a mazurka...

https://youtu.be/RZDETzi2sQk
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Simon! I really like that tempo and the relaxed mazurka feel of your performance.

This has long been a favourite tune of mine, and I have recorded two versions of this previously, one ten years ago and one five years ago. I'm not terribly happy with either of them, so maybe it's time for a third attempt -- updating at five-yearly intervals.

Martin
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin, Ooops, I did check the Song a Week list and then I actually thought of you about one and a half seconds after I had posted this, wondering if you had already posted a thread. Sorry.😐
    It would be nice to put them together if that’s possible?
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    that's beautiful Simon
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is quite beautiful. Not always a fan of mazurkas but I think I've changed my mind now.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I enjoyed your recording a lot, Simon.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Me too! Beautifully played, with great rhythm and feeling. I was imagining an accordion playing along with your mandola.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Much obliged Gentlemen and Gentlewoman,
    But Sir Gelsenbury not you too! I’ve already been accused of playing tunes in a carefree, relaxed fashion on Song a Week, tunes that are ‘pretty’.
    -and I don’t much care for the word. As I have already explained I believe I am suffering from some sort of metronome withdrawal effect.
    Two days without it, and I’m beginning to ‘feel’ the music. What to do?!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I should add that if anyone wants to add an accordion to this, or anything else for that matter, I’d be happy to do so.
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Your body's metronome is obviously better than my software one, which always seems to slow down on me!
  11. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Since this is entitled Princess, I have taken the opportunity to show our own princess again, with the emphasis on her contribution to my music-making. Actually, we call her the empress, since she spends so much time on the ottoman (see last picture).

12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Richard! Looks like your cat is even larger than ours -- you won't see her in any of my videos because she usually makes a runner when instruments come out. Even more so for the brass instruments that infest our house!

I love this tune and as I said in response to Simon's 2020 posting, I have recorded it twice already (in 2010 and 2015). I don't think either of them have been posted to SAW. This is my 2015 version, using Evelyn's arrangement:

https://youtu.be/kiHT0ce_IdY

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  13. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Martin. I really like your version - very expertly put together. I just picked it out of that Italian collection as one that appealed to me, but a quick scour of YouTube suggests that many others have too. It is a really appealing tune.

The cat is not so big - just fluffy. She has never objected to my playing, although when she was a kitten she would show great distress if violin music was playing on the stereo. Not sure what she would think of brass... (Which prompts the question of how you negotiate practice/recording times, since the sound of brass instruments must fill the house. Getting some quiet time to record is a bit of a sore point with me....)
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Now I understand, Richard! You didn’t play all this beautiful music by your own efforts but with the help of or at least supervised by Her Majesty the Empress.
  15. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Frithjof. You have understood perfectly. Actually, as I think I have mentioned before, Essie (the empress) did make a contribution by getting me up at 6.00 am (earlier these sunny mornings) so that I could get a couple of hours of practice (well, actually so I could feed her, of course). But now she has taken to joining me and climbing on my lap after her breakfast, which rules out any practice (as in the video). And I certainly don't have the heart to throw her off.