Week #417 ~ A Bruxa (waltz from Galicia)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is A Bruxa, which was submitted as a Waltz from Galicia. I see that it, along with Cinderella Waltz, had a run, here, as an 'other tune' back in 2011.

Here is a link to 3 settings on thesession.org

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    And here's the first contribution for week#417:
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well worth the wait, I'd say! I like how your style sounds well rehearsed but not laboured. You are obviously very comfortable with what you're playing.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks a lot, Criss -- I like that tune a lot and your playing suits it very well!

I do have a very old solo mandolin recording of mine, which is the very first one in Barbara's posting at the top of this thread. I have been meaning to do a multitrack recording using the harmonies from Evelyn's arrangement. We play her setting of A Bruxa with our group occasionally, but I've never got around to putting it together for my Youtube channel.

Martin
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Gelsenbury, thanks Martin! I must confess, I was a little surprised, I did not find one of your nice multi-track recordings of this tune on Youtube. But there will surely be one in the future I hope...
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    I just played the chords I found on a score I found with Google, with some minor harmonic changes.
    And I recorded it with my bowlback, probably doesn't sound so different from my A oval hole.
    Same player, same pick, same strings, only the mandos are of a little different shape...
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As promised, here is my multipart recording of "A Bruxa", using an arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni from 2012.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine recording, Martin, I especially like the low melody at 2.13!
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks a lot, Criss! For the low melody section, the mandocello switches to melody and the mandolin plays the syncopated double-stop rhythm. I really like Evelyn's harmonies on this one, very rich.

Martin
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This version sounds great too!