Maddie's Pride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Barbara suggested I post this. It's a waltz I wrote last week. It's pretty simple with a lot of room for improvisation or experimentation. I hope you enjoy.

X:1
    T:Maddie’s Pride
    C:David Hansen
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:A
    AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B6|"A"AB cB AE|"D"F4AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B4A2|"D"(F6|F4)AB|"A"c2e2c 2|"E"B6|"A"AB cB AE|"D"F6|"A"AB ce fe|"D"
    dc BA FB|"A"A3 "E"aec|"A"A4ag|"D"f4fg|f2e2AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B4ag|"D "f4fg|f2e2A2|"E"B4(B2 |"A"c4)ag|"D"
    f4fg|f2e2AB|"A"c2e2c2|"E"B6|"A"AB ce fe|"D"dc BA FB|"A"A3 "E"aec|"A"A6|

2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    What a great way to start the day. Thanks David. Beautiful.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's one of the most beautiful waltzes I've heard. I'm glad Barbara got you to share it with us.
  4. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Another great one, David. Thanks for sharing your talents with us. When did you say your CD is coming out?
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's a really nice melody and you've played it very well. Thanks for the abc too!
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    Exquisite, David.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely stuff there David, lovely stuff!
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Yay!
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I used to think taking a deep breath was the lungs' business, not the heart's - I know better now. This is an aural preview of what it's like to be beyond all cares and troubles.

Thanks Barb for making David come out with this, thanks David for complying
  10. Francis J
    Francis J
    Really nice playing, lovely tune.
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I watched Transatlantic sessions first series this morning. This would fit perfectly in it. Wonderful and beautiful sounding instruments. Thanks for posting this!
  12. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    beautiful David , really enjoyed that
  13. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    David, this is so so good, many thanks for posting. I've been trying to get myself out of a slumber lately and this is perfect motivation.

14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice one Tosh! No slumbering there for sure...
  15. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Good to see you are back posting, Tosh. You sound good as ever.
  16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That's a beautiful tune, David! Nice and respectful rendition, Tosh. Good to see you back!
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Thanks to all of you for the kind comments and special thanks to Tosh for giving it a go. There's nothing better than hearing someone else playing your tune.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is great, good work!
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good to see you back in front of the mic Tosh. Your rendition gives me hope I could do it, too.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram ..... You .... Can ..... Do ..... It!
  21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    This is such an amazing waltz to play because it allows a mandolin to bring out the beauty of the melody. Hope I've done it justice. On the second break the picking technique is called hybrid picking. It's a way of finger picking used mostly by country pickers on their telecasters, but it fits here too. Thanks for sharing this tune with us David.

22. bruce.b
    bruce.b
    Really great! The concertina fits in perfectly
  23. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Michael that was just perfect, you definitely got the feel nailed and I really enjoyed your fretboard flourishes up the neck. Thanks for giving it a shot.
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    So I guess I'm the fourth person in the world to record this tune--really beautiful Tosh and Michael. I like that picking technique.

25. Toycona
    Toycona
    This is so cool!!!
  26. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    What a beautiful tune. Everyone's versions are fantastic!!!
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well, I have printed the notation so far (after deleting one extra blank in full measure #9). Guess I have to do it, can't leave all the fun to you geniuses here (Michael, that hybrid fingerstyle is a killer - at last I comprehended what Mark Knopfler is doing all the time).

Meanwhile, I have wondered about the title: is it about a horse? We have to do with speculation on trad. tune names so much, I'd like to take the rare advantage of being able to ask the composer ... David?
  28. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Marcelyn that was really well done, this tune was made for your embellishments. Thanks for that.

Bertram, I was afraid someone would ask about the title. I wrote the tune while I was watching TV, which coincidentally is when I do my best playing, and I was afraid I would forget it if I didn't write it down. So to write it down I needed a title. There was a character in the show I was watching named Maddie, so I tried a bunch of different titles; Maddie's Prayer, Maddie's Hope etc etc and finally ended up with Maddie's Pride. It was only afterwards did I realize it was also a race horse.
  29. Barefoot Bud
    Barefoot Bud
    This thread is great. I haven't been able to get enough of the tune. Great vids everyone
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks David, you've really got to post more of your compositions here. This is one of my favorite waltzes now. I particularly like how the lines in the B part are so similar, but sound so different just based on whether the last notes go up or down. It's a beautiful piece.
  31. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nothing to be afraid of, David. The name generation process described is well within traditional standards. A racehorse is not the worst of coincidences. It might have been a breakfast cereal brand. Some day, I'll write a tune called The Caf-Pow.
  32. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Worse yet, Maggie could be a stipper. Or a politician.
  33. Eddie Sheehy
    Hmmm, a stipper or a stumper....
  34. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, thanks for this beautiful piece.
    Tosh, good to see you back, and with a solid performance on your great-sounding Shippey
    Michael and Marcy, outstanding musicianship and technique, as always.

My accompaniment is played by Band-in-a-Box

35. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Talk about outstanding technique, Manfred! That tremolo of yours is one of the best I've heard and when you play that lovely mandolin it sounds like heaven to me.

Just wonderful Marcy. Those little distinctive flourishes of yours make the tune come alive.
  36. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    A great tune - its not surprising so many versions have appeared and well done everyone. A web search reveals Maddie's Pride is a Boxer bitch as well as a race horse but I could find no pictures of either so used Red Rum and a random Boxer.

37. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Manfred, your tremolo is inspiring. What excellent use you made of it in this tune.

MM, I'd like to try a more chorded version like that one. That was a great idea.
  38. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Manfred that was great, you are truly the "Master of Tremolo".

MM I agree with Marcy on the chording, nice stuff. I think I will do an internet search before naming my next tune, just to be on the safe side.
  39. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Manfred, there's a man freddling his strings with trembling tremoloes!

Here's mine. If there is anything more pleasant than hearing this tune it is playing it; I love tunes composed by mandolinists
    Forgive me for taking a few liberties with the prescribed chords...

40. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was great Bertram no worries on the chords I'm actually known for doing the same thing. What is amazing to me is how distinctive everyone's playing is in this group. Even without knowing the source I could easily identify all these posts just by listening to them.
  41. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Bertram, very nicely re-harmonized! "Maddie" would be proud!
  42. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thank you, gentlemen! I do feel honored and relieved.
  43. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Beautiful, beautiful tune. Great playing from everyone. Pictured a balmy dance somewhere in the South. Nice and warm for these cold nights. I'm intrigued by the "hybrid" picking. My daughter shies away from the mandolin because she likes to finger pick.
  44. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I am pleased to announce that this tune has made it into the harsh real world of German Irish pub sessions. After I had played it alone sometime during the last two sessions and got much positive feedback, one flute/accordion player asked me for the sheet music yesterday. Since I always carry leftover practising leaflets in my OM case for exactly that purpose, it was no problem. Being a good-enough sight reader, she played it instantly and we did approx. 10 times round until the guitar player had his chords together (I told him which ones I use).

Another transatlantic success story. Tradition has begun, the rest will be history...
  45. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That's great Bertram, Maddie would be proud. I never really thought of this tune in an Irish music setting, more of an old time tune in my view but apparently it has a universality all of it's own.
  46. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    David, after you recorded such a beautiful version of my instrumantal "Koetze Tibbe" I had to do something with your Beautiful Waltz.. Have you wrote more instrumentals? I love this one!
    Here's my version:

47. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was really great Hendrik, nice guitar playing as well as the mandolin, plus Dutch windmills, what could be better? I have a bunch of tunes I wrote on my YouTube channel and I've posted a few here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...968&do=discuss Return To Flannel

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...599&do=discuss Kilmartin Rise

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...846&do=discuss Fer
  48. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job Hendrik... beautiful guitar and mandolin work. Thanks for bringing this stream back, it's a great tune and I was surprised to see that I once knew it. I'll just have to work it up again 'cause I want some of my friends to hear it this Christmas...
  49. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Look at that, Maddie's Pride Rides again! Love this tune! Super playing Hendrik!
  50. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Beautiful tune, love all the versions!

I want to learn it but I'm no good at figuring out chords by ear, I can tell that they're something beyond (in addition to) I-IV-V but I can't tell what, and I haven't had any success trying to figure out how to read abc notation, does abc have chords in there somewhere too or just the notes? I tried an online converter but I couldn't get the converter to work, maybe I was doing it wrong? Not sure what part(s) to copy/paste into the converter. Left to my own devices I can come up with some pretty bizarre chord schemes, this is a beautiful tune and I want to play it the way I've heard it here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast