Parson's Farewell

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is an English country dance from the first edition of John Playford's Dancing Master (1651). Earlier variants of this tune were published a few decades previously in the Netherlands, Germany and France, and it is likely to originate as a French bouree.

My arrangement is based on a setting by Allan Alexander in his "Renaissance Tunes For Mandolin". I have used his variation as a counter melody on the second and third repetition of the tune.

Mid-Missouri M-0W (x2 in last repetition)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2 in middle repetition)

Martin

PS: Also check out Dennis and David's collaboration on this tune as a set with "My Lady Cullen" here.
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Excellent playing Martin and a lovely tune. One of your best yet!
    I feel so lucky to be part of the SAW social group with such fine players. Thank you.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Simon. It's such a familiar tune that I was sure I had recorded it before, but I don't think I did. I find that Allen Alexander's books are a useful source of harmonies because of his habit of adding his own variations on the same chord progression to extend short pieces. Playing the original melody along with the variation creates a nice polyphony.

Martin
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    My writing in English is much to slow (and was interrupted by my family). But this were my thoughts:
    Right Simon!

Take a couple of Martin’s videos, sit down in a comfortable armchair with your favorite beverage on the table next to you and enjoy a great chamber concert. You can do that on a regular basis every Friday for a row of weeks.

For the Saturdays I would recommend A concert of Scottish slow airs and strathspeys played by John.

What about David Hansen Band for Sunday?

There are enough artists available for the other days of the week but to less days left.
    (No offend meant to any member of the group not mentioned in this comment.)
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    One of my favourites! And even my wife started humming along to your very nice rendition. Allan Alexander does write nice variations.
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Beautiful song and well played, Martin, as usual.