Week #267 ~ Tam Lin (Howling Wind Reel; Glasgow Reel)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Tam Lin, also known as Howling Wind Reel and Glasgow Reel. It's an Irish Traditional tune.

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org

2. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I cheated and recorded mine last night ahead of the pole result which appeared a foregone conclusion.
    Played on an Eastman 815, sitting in my window seat next to my highly reflective piano which explains the ghostly figure on the right playing along with me.

3. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice playing James! You have a very good sounding mandolin!
  4. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Enjoyed that one James. You have a few variations on how I play it, I am planning to steal them

Here's one I recorded a few months ago, first on a spruce top mando that was on a road trip at the time, then on my own cedar top mando:

I played it more like a hornpipe than a reel only because I found it easier to put the triplets in. I've been practising triplets in straighter 4/4 time recently so I shall have to have another go now...

I think this is one of the top twenty member tunes on thesession.org, though I don't think I've ever heard it at a session: infra dig?
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very well done James + ghost and Mike I'm going to steal your triplets for my next go round, nicely done. I don't remember where I got my version although I've found it is different than what most folks play. I get a little shaky the last time through but was too lazy to redo it.

6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

This one already has its thread. Here is my attempt from three years ago.
  7. Francis J
    Francis J
    My version, on two mandolins and a bouzouki, owes a lot to a Davy Arthur recording of the tune. It's a bit different than the other versions. Here it is..........
  8. jonny250
    jonny250
    This is a fun little tune but it would probably drive me nuts after playing it for a while lol [bit repetitive, does it usually get played in a set?].
    I'm most impressed by the versions posted so far, especially the triplets by mike. i cant do triplets at all... yet...
    Here's my take, with my Weber Octave backing up and a little too fast for my own good by the end
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It's been brought to my attention that this has had a run as an "other tune" as Glasgow reel. Here is the link.. If you are going to contribute a video, please do it to this current tune of the week discussion!
  10. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I really have no clue if I did this tune any justice at all. I played a 'melted pot' version of it I guess you could say. Really a haunted type melody which appeals to me.
  11. 9lbShellhamer
    9lbShellhamer
    James, nice playing. "The ghostly figure" is appropriate since the song has been described as haunting.
    Mike, nice triplets and nice tempo.
    David. Really lovely arrangement. Pro. Also, I noticed the mono lake shirt. I stayed there while thru-hiking the PCT. Great memories.
    Maudlin, nice and bouncy. has a more cheerful vibe to it.
    Francis- Well arranged with the dueling mandos and bouzouki.
    Johnny. Cool to up the tempo all song. Gets you moving! Feels like something out of a pub.
    Sasquatch, nicely done. really good job coming up with your own melody that is still true to the original, doesn't sound like a "melting pot". it sounds put together.

Here is my stab at it. I recorded backing tracks on my Larrivee, and recorded onto my iPod, then played over the backing coming through the speakers. Anyways, here it is. Sorry for the crashing around in the background...my daughter was having a blast on a rampage since my attention was diverted! hahahaha. Good practice trying to keep an eye on her while recording...
  12. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Try as I may, I absolutely can't play this tune!
  13. audioz
    audioz
    So here goes my first post to the SAW group.

I'm sorry, I'm a little over a week late with this one. I just started learning it mid last week and yesterday saw it had been the song of the week so recently. I couldn't resist cobbling a video together.

I really like this tune and thoroughly enjoyed all the versions posted above (and in the thread from 2010). This is a pretty straight play-through of one of the two versions found in The Portland Collection Vol. 2. Please pardon a couple flubs throughout the tune, I'm still polishing it up.

Just in case anyone is curious, I played it on my Eastman 814 (oval hole version of James Rankine's, seen above) with a Tone Guard and Thomastik medium flat-wound strings.

Zac

14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very nice, keep them coming! You look so relaxed!

So, what made you decide on the tone guard and the flat-wound strings?
  15. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice first post Zac.
    Your never too late to post here.
    I'm about 2 years behind.
    I could use a nice mic setup like yours.
    Gary
  16. audioz
    audioz
    Gelsenbury - Thank you! Funny that you say I looked relaxed. I always feel like I look like I'm having a terrible time whenever I'm really concentrating playing.

As for the strings, I decided to give them a try after a friend loaned me his old Gibson F4 equipped with them. They play like butter and a have a little different sound but they reduce the volume a tad. So, for the recording I thought I should get a little more volume and used the Tone Guard.

Gary - Thank you! I can see how you can get behind. A week can be very short for learning a new tune! My mic setup isn't too crazy. RODE sells these recording bundles that include a cord, shock mount, and NT1-A mic for only around $150-200. You can get a nice little handheld digital recorder with mic inputs for $150-200 or less.

I forgot to add my specific comments to my last post.

James Rankine - Nice version of the tune and nice mandolin!
    Mike Floorstand - I love this version of the tune. I think I'll have to learn it next. It makes it sound a little like two instruments are playing at times. Also, those are some cool sounding mandolins.
    David Hansen - Great arrangement. I really like all the backing tracks! I may have to start doing some of that in the future. I need to get my hands on an octave mandolin.
    Maudlin Mandolin - This version certainly had my foot stomping. Great playing!
    Francis J - Yet another reminder that I need to get a bozouki. I really like the backing tracks with it.
    Jonny250 - I liked the tempo shift. I feel like I've heard it done like this before. Did you get that from somewhere or just decide to do it that way?
    Sasquatch - I thoroughly enjoyed your version of the tune, especially the second half of the video. It brought a whole different flavor to the dish while still keeping true to the tune.
    9lbShellhamer - I sincerely applaud your ability to keep on playing the tune well while your daughter runs full distraction on the side. My dogs tried to do the same in an earlier take of mine.
  17. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I'm way behind on my SAW tunes but finally got around to this great tune. The version I used plays some successive notes in fifths so I had to learn to finger 2 sets of strings cleanly using one finger. Not so easy for me to do it seems. This recording is of our trio playing it. I really enjoyed the versions posted above.

18. jonny250
    jonny250
    very nicely done woodenfingers - i like the slideshow to go with it too.
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Your ensemble sounds great, Bob. What a fun group that must be to play with.
  20. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    I didn't realize I had recorder this tune this morning when I was prepping to record Over the Waterfall, but apparently I did. I usually run through this a couple times in the morning to get my right hand loosened up. Anyway, I checked the previous Official Tunes and saw that it was Week #267, and thought. . . why not? Here it is, and I hope you enjoy it.

21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A favourite of mine and a great Scottish tune, Mark. There are some great fiddle versions of this tune around. Well played by yourself.
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good, Habbits and thanks for the reminder. I missed out on this back then, apparently, and I got to go for it now. Stay tuned.
  23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It would be a good DUDU exercise if I could play it! Well done, Mark. That was an enjoyable video.

Bertram, you bet I'll stay tuned. This tune would suit your style perfectly.
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You're right, Dennis, the tune was made for the OM.

25. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Bertram - very nice, love the deep tones on your OM. Really making me wish for one, as the resonance seems so much deeper and stronger. I have a tenor tuned GDAE and really like the lower tones and sustain on it.
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bertram of the Flying Fingers strikes again! Well played, good sir, and big stretches managed easily.
  27. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    One of my favourites and one I have not achieved well. Thanks for the inspiration Mark and Bertram.
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played Mark and Bertram, thanks.
    Yes this is one of the twenty or so great but intermediate tunes that I tried to learn (against advice), and I used beginners’ poor technique. Will have a go one day!
  29. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Watch Bertram go from 0 to 100 with this submission! I don't think this particular tune can sound much better.
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all.

Habbits, the sound is due to a combination of the skills of Mr Roger Bucknall of Fylde Guitars (that's the magician's part), an extra-light two-footed bridge (I drilled holes in it myself), a careful choice of strings (phosphor bronze on G and D, 80/20 bronze on A), a thin pick (0.56) and wet tuning. No rocket science there.

John, long-distance travel is done best by flying...

Ginny and Simon, this one is easier than most either of you have done before, so don't be shy.

Dennis, congrats to your sound divination skills
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    There is another thread for Glasgow reel here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...cussionid=1703 but it’s not the official thread for this tune!
    So here it is, here, thanks Barbara!

It’s a bit backpacker, rough, and there’s a (very nice) young lady whistling for her dog… very big, very slobbery (the dog).

https://youtu.be/tI2EpvEaqa8
  32. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    It is a great wee reel, Simon. Well picked and played.