Whirling Snowflakes

1. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Now the winter is almost over it's time to post my latest tune. It's a about cold snowflakes...brrrr.. To be honest I'm glad the season is changing an the the birds tell me spring is in the air.

But here it is...

B.t.w. you can find the sheet music on my weblog https://luurtieful.blogspot.nl/
  2. bbcee
    bbcee
    Another inspiring submission. Some really lovely changes.

Thank you for posting the music as well, it gives me almost no reason not to sit down and learn it!!
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What an absolutely cracking tune, Hendrik. Great jazzy feel to it and it is just so catchy. I really like the progressions you have in it and your choice of instruments. Thanks too for the notation - off now to have a play!
  4. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks bbcee and John and it's good to hear you both like this tune. Is it hard to add tabs in musescore to the all my sheet music John? I've been asked a couple of times to do that but I have no idea how you did that with your beautiful tune "The Birdfeeder".
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hendrik, What I do in MuseScore to create TAB is as follows: Click on EDIT, then select Instruments. When the Instruments menu comes up, make sure you select All Instruments from the top left of the menu screen then scroll down through the loads of instruments and you'll find Mandolin (Tablature). Highlight this then click on the Add button which adds the TAB stave to your score.

Go back to the score, where there should now be your original notation then below this the new, empty, mandolin TAB stave. Click in the first bar of your notation, then go to the last bar, hold down Shift and click on the last bar to select all of your notation in the original treble stave.

Copy this (Control C on Windows) then click on the first bar of the empty TAB stave and paste (Control B). You should see the TAB stave fill up with your new TAB.

You can change how the TAB looks back at the Instruments sub-menu on the right of this where there are options for different TAB appearances.

Hope this is of help to you.
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That was easy! I added tablature to the tune... Thanks a lot John!
  7. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Luurtie, great tune! And played very nicely too.

Thanks also for the written notation and tab.

John, thanks for the info about tab. Alternatively, as another option, one can also make a "linked" tab staff (doesn't require copy/paste, it's all automatic) which updates itself in real time to match any changes or edits that you make in the notes of the standard notation, and vice-versa. There are probably different ways of doing this but the way I do it is shown in an example at 14:08 and 15:06 in the MuseScore tutorial video I made last year. The reason for the first step at 14:08, is so that MuseScore will know what the strings are supposed to be tuned to, that way you don't have to manually enter any string data. Then the next step at 15:06 gives you the linked tab.
    (Tech blurb: I've noticed once in a while when fast-forwarding to the middle of long YouTube videos, it might be necessary to wait for the buffer to catch up. If the video stalls, just wait a few seconds, if it still stalls or skips then reload the page.)

However, I think I see one advantage already in John's method, is that since that generates an actual separate staff (rather than a linked staff), it allows you to selectively hide the tab staff (or the notation staff) if you don't want it in your way, and then un-hide it later if you need it again. That could be useful to maximize screen real-estate if you have lots of different instrument parts on-screen, like if you're playing along with an arrangement you've put together. I don't see any way to hide an individual linked staff in the current MuseScore 2.1, maybe that functionality will be added in some future version - I see there were some requests for that feature a while back.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It sounds like a merry Farewell-to-Winter tune, kicking the cold season good-bye, and I appreciate that
  9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That's exactly what I mean Bertram, last week was awful don't you think?
  10. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I love it, Hendrik You've written some beautiful pieces just in the short time I've been visiting in here, and you can count me as a fan!
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Mark! Most tunes already existed on my tascamrecorder but I'm happy with my new weblog archive....

It's not to late to listen to this freezing tune... winter doesn't seem to be over here in the Netherlands. The forecast is giving us another freezing weekend with new "whirling snowflakes"....