Margaret Brown Set

1. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    Here's a set of three Scottish jigs, a collaboration with John Kelly. I learned Miss Margaret Brown's Favourite from Nigel Gatherer's website and John suggested two tunes which would go well with it, Lamb Skinnet and Fergie MacDonald's The Jig Runrig. I play the mandolin parts and John recorded an accompaniment on guitar and bass and plays the tune to The Jig Runrig on octave mandolin. It was lots of fun to do another collaboration with John and looking forward to more in the future.

The photos are from a recent trip to Skye which is fitting since the The Jig Runrig was composed for Runrig a band from Skye.

2. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    WOW! Very clean picking on three nice jigs. And John plays an excellent backup.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Bravo!!!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks for posting this, Callum. It was a lot of fun to do and your very steady timing on those tunes makes backing your playing a very enjoyable experience.

Skye looking good as the new colours begin to emerge after winter. When you included the sound of the water at the end I first thought it was the sound of applause! Here's to the next.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What a set! Your clean and lively playing makes this very enjoyable.
  6. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Very clean, crisp playing throughout the set. Hats off, gents.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great stuff, and what a sweet sounding mandolin!
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Ah Callum, these are excellent. Amazing picking. I know you worked hard to put them together, super well played. A nice set all in all. Nice work to both of you. I'll leave a comment on your YT page.
  9. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine professional playing there Gents, for some reason these tunes remind me of spring, honey and maple syrup. Delicious tunes.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. Glad you enjoyed our set.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Clear and loud like the water in the end (and yes, that's applause well-earned), and those wonderful Skye pics completely void of Chinese tourists - priceless!