Captain George, Has Your Money Come

1. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Bruce (bbcee) got in touch with me about doing a collaboration on this tune from the "Gallop to Georgia" CD by Compton and Blake. It's an old tune played by Narmour and Smith and other old time ensembles. The tune has a very long form of AABABC. It's in the key of C so Bruce learned it on mandola and I'm playing the mandolin part doing my best Compton imitation the first time through while Bruce lays down some excellent rhythm on the mandola. Then he takes the melody and I back him up. We both had a lot of fun putting this together! I used some time-lapse videos I've gotten into shooting lately even though they have nothing to do with Captain George or his money. Bruce and I hope you enjoy our collaboration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahp0aYwJ7hY

2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Love it, what a great good-time tune! Thanks guys, nice photography too.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great picking Don and Bruce!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine duetting, gents. Mandolin and mandola go really well together.
    Interesting time-lapse video footage too, Don.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What a great collaboration! You sound so good together, as if you had been in the same band forever. I'm already looking forward to the next one.
  6. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Great groove and clean picking, gents. Love it. The photography is a nice touch.
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks guys!
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Technical question here Don, to get that (cool) shunting rhythm are you playing 8 downbeats per measure?
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Yes, playing every beat in the measure and mixing that up with ringing open chord offbeats and sometimes matching the rhythm of the lead. I was just thinking of what Compton might do backing up this tune. A bluegrass chop wasn't going to support the melody.
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    Just wanted to add my thanks for the nice feedback - the tune was a bite more than I could chew, but I got it to where I thought I could ask Don for mandolin help! The mandolin part is a real bear, and Don really nailed it. Not too shabby on the rhythm either, as noted by Simon
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    It was fun to listen to your great collaboration, Don and Bruce. To use the time-lapse videos was a nice idea, too.
  12. Denis Kearns
    Denis Kearns
    Don -

Was that video taken near El Morro National Monument? It looked very familiar - our family has some rootlets there.
    Great tuner and fun video.

- Denis
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    PM'ed you Denis. Thanks, Frithjof.
  14. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    Great picking, a very nice duet!
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is excellent. Nicely played and super video.