Week #541 ~ Eel in the Sink

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Eel in the Sink, which was submitted as an IT reel.
    Here is a link to notation on thesession.org

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I admire Mike’s version above and did my best to follow him on my Eastman 815v but without any accompaniment.

3. Matt
    Matt
    Sounds fine Fritjoff!
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice clean picking, Frithjof. It's a grand wee reel.
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That sounds really nice on your F5, Frithjof.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for the feedback Matt, John and Don.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Very good tone from those mandolins! It looks like a tricky tune.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great, rocking tune Mike. Had to put it on my list.

Hello Dennis.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Hi Simon! It's on my list now, too. Mainly because I like the title!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Me too, reminds me of a story my grandma told where she was washing in the old sink in their kitchen thinking of the fact that potatoes, onions and a tiny bit of butter for dinner was going to be a bit depressing and an eel appeared in the sink. Got her sister to fry up the poor unfortunate beastie. Grandad very happy!
  11. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Nice job, Frithjof. This is a rollicking little tune. This group turns up some real gems I'd otherwise never have played. Life is good!
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks a lot, Mike.
    This group is a musical treasury! And the best thing is that we are allowed (and some time forced) to take the gem out of it, play with them and polish them up (if we can ).
  13. Dan Forney
    Dan Forney
    Better late than never!
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Dan. Thanks for taking part.
  15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely versions everyone!
  16. phb256
    phb256
    I just started experimenting with Logic Pro and made this thing, which hopefully isn't a complete abomination: https://soundcloud.com/phb256/eels-in-the-sink I really had to stretch my finger to play some of this on the mandocello.
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Deep sound on a steady pace, phb. I guess my fingers would hurt like hell after playing that on a mandocello.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    This really is a tricky tune. One of the great things about it is that it works in A Mixolydian (with sharp A) as well as A Dorian (with natural A). I'm alternating between the two in the recording below.

It's a great tune to put into your reel sets. I'm currently practising it with Trip to Durrow, Pigeon on the Gate, and The Peeler's Jacket. It's going okay until the recording light comes on.
  19. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Dennis this recording sounds great, really clean and nice triplets, and driving, plodding rhythm.
    -foot-tapper, Dude!
  20. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Dan, I did not know you were fsusubdad. I thought I found you on my own. All good versions - I cannot get over the optics of eels in a sink..and John said..it's a grand wee reel..and I say..it's grand real eel. I should lie down.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine recording, Dennis.
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Real ale? Ginny?

Fine playing Dan and phb256 good to hear you guys on a regular basis, thanks.
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a nice recording, Dennis. The accompaniment makes it a little more complete.
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Solo version here, it’s actually a great, fun tune to practice triplets.

25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine solo recording, Simon.
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof, I just realised that I got the title wrong.
    This is actually an Australian tune called, ‘Mice in the barn’. (Joking)
    -it really does sound like it!