Strings

1. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Time to order some more strings. I like to keep 3 or 4 sets aging in the house :D.

So I tried the EFW74s on my eastman and went back to EJ74s. But now on the Weber I'm wondering about 2 other choices. So chime in my friends
    Coated strings like EXP74s?
    Nickel Bronze like DAD_NBM1140s.

Not interested in 52 dollar a set Thomastik but any others?
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I've mentioned before, I've grown to prefer the coated set with the tad heavier E strings - EXP74CM

I haven't experimented since settling on those; I tried a few other choices before ... but those do the trick on both my Collings and my Washburn.

I found that the EXP74CM strings were pretty much required on my Eastman and my Washburn. Those were over-built compared to the Collings, and the strings did a good job of driving the top plates on those mandolins, where other sets that I tried failed. Note: I never tried heavier strings than the '74' medium sizes. I used medium strings in several brands, materials and windings, and the lighter Martins, before settling on EXP74CM. YMMV
  3. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    does that heavier E tone down the brightness?
  4. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    Kevin, I tries a set of the EXP74s, and they made my mandolin sound like it was stuffed with wet socks. For reference, my instrument is a 30-year-old, small-shop F style. I usually use the EJ62 light set, what the former owner seemed to be using. I had one set of Martins. While I didn't love them at first, they grew on me, and seemed last longer. I would happily buy them again.
  5. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    does that heavier E tone down the brightness?

I think you could say that, Kevin, it's not quite as twangy as the lighter E strings. It's a small difference, but I notice it. And the top on my Eastman was not as responsive as the Collings, so lighter strings didn't drive that top well.
  6. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Louise, I use the Martins on my old bowlback.They didn't work well on my Eastman or Washburn, though.
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I should chime in with a favorite on this, but I can't: I haven't settled on any one set. Playing alone up here in my cave, maybe I am less particular than folks who play in jams and groups. I will say that my Weber Vintage F came with a set of Thomastiks (don't know which guage) and I finally decided to take them off and have never since been tempted to get another set. Maybe they were just old -- maybe wrong weight -- maybe just a poor choice for that mandolin. Right now I have a set of Elixer Nanoweb mediums on it that may be a bit bright for an oval holer, but I like them much better than the Thomastiks.

I have D'Addario EJ74's on several others and I am pretty happy with them. The flat tops and flat wounds do appeal to me with regard to string noise, but the EFT74 set I have tried seems a bit muted compared to EJ74s. I don't generate a lot of string noise anyway unless I have some of those D string slides in the current workpiece.
  8. OneChordTrick
    OneChordTrick
    Don't know if they're available your side of the pond but I'm a fan of Newtones, nice warm balanced tone.
  9. bbcee
    bbcee
    I think string preference is dependent not only on how they suit the particular mandolin, but also personal changes in taste. I've tried a lot - GHS A275, DR MD-11 and DAddario NB's on both my A5 & oval hole, then flattops on the A5, and DAddario flatwounds on the oval hole. Whew!

I'm playing Kurt Mangan Monels 11-40 on both right now. Next week may bring other changes, but the Monels sound nice to me right now. Expensive though, so I'll likely try something more economical.

+1 for the Newtones - I got a couple of custom sets of nickelwounds made for my flattop mandola, and they're as good as anything out there.
  10. Gene Lewis
    Gene Lewis
    A little late to this discussion but have recently tried out the GHS LS 250 Silk and Steel Strings. I am really liking them. I was looking for a little warmer, more mellow sound. I have that as well as less tension under the fingers. Definitely noticed they were easier to play.

Gene