Bygone Days

1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I found this nice waltz in the PDF, Martin joined to the Florence Killen thread, and the main purpose for me recording it, was to try and get a decent accompaniment out of my flatpicked steelstring guitar. Usually I fingerpick a classical guitar, but for variety's sake, on this waltz, I tried to play the chords with a pick:
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Christian! Alf Warnock had two versions on his site, arranged for two of his musical incarnations -- you have used the melody and chords version from his Ottawa Ceili Band repertoire. There is also a melody and harmony (no chords) version for the Ottawa Fiddle Orchestra, which is no longer on the site, but still available on the Wayback Machine. I recorded it five years ago: Link

In retrospect, I really needed some chords for a waltz rhythm in addition to the harmony, and I overdid the tremolo. Nice tune, though -- we play it in our group occasionally (with Alf's chords and harmony versions combined).

Martin
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That accompaniment is more than just decent. I started playing your video before reading the text, and my first thought was how great that guitar sounds. You play it just right, and the sound quality is professional.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a beautiful waltz and very well played by you, Christian. To my ears it you recorded a decent accompaniment (but your classic guitar is still my favorite ).
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another fine performance, Christian. Interesting to compare your steel-string sound with your more usual nylon, finger-style playing. Have you done finger-picking on the steel string as an option? You always get really good backing tracks recorded, whatever guitar you are using, and your balance is good between the instruments.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks folks! If I had known that Martin already opened a thread for this waltz, I would have put my video there. But I had no idea! BTW; I really like your tremolo-version, Martin.
    I was a little surprised at how well the steel-string backup turned out. There are only some pick clicks on the top of the guitar, that are bothering. I've got to find out, how they occur and try to get rid of them.
    John, I've got a 00-size steel string guitar, that I can hold like a classical guitar and fingerpick.