Same tune, two different Mid-Mos

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This week's Song-A-Week group tune is the Irish reel "The London Lasses". I'm currently taking a break from overdubbed multi-tracked recording an have made a few simple videos of simple tunes to keep up social face contact in these times of social isolation. As I've just recorded this tune on both of my Mid-Mos, I thought I'll link them here as well. Apologies for the sub-session tempo -- it's a new tune for me which I've never played before.

1. Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin

It's a one-of-a-kind, the only all-mahogany OM that Mike Dulak has ever made (even his "stock" OM model is very rare and long discontinued). He gave it the model number M-111, as an extension from his M-11 mahogany mandolins. I understand it was a custom order for an Australian player, so I'm not sure how it made its way to the UK. Fancy tuners, Allen tailpiece, internal pickup and custom inlays on the back.

These strings are brand new and still a bit lively -- the OM is not normally quite as bright.

2. Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin

I've had this one for about 15 years, bought used on Ebay Germany of all places. Spruce top, mahogany back, wide ebony fretboard.

Martin
  2. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    Very fun. The Octave is really cool. I've spied a few when they've shown up on eBay, but haven't been willing to pull the trigger on the cost yet.

Thanks for sharing!
  3. MrMoe
    Martin Jonas Dave_KC
    This is one of the last Mid Missouri Octave Mandolins. It was built just before the very unfortunate demise of the company due to the lawsuit over the side bender fire. I built a few more Octaves for Big Muddy in recent years including another all Mahogany. What is the serial number? should be over 100 (1100) less than 130 (1130). Very nice playing. I hope Mr. Dulak is well and continuing to be able to provide great sounding solid wood Mandolins at a reasonable price as he has done for years.
    Maurice McMurry
  4. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    Mike Dulak repaired a Big Muddy I picked up on eBay from a Pawn Shop in Minneapolis. It had a crack on the front and he repaired it for me.

But I haven't had communication in a while. But a very good, very fine man.
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry it took me a while to see it -- this social group isn't very busy, so I tend not to check it often. Serial number is #089, so a bit lower than the range in your post.

Martin
  6. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    Yeah, sadly this group isn't very active.
  7. ago
    ago
    Those Mid-Mos sounded great Martin. Thanks for sharing. I have an M-1 (#3464) and about 2 months ago passed through Mike's area on a road trip. I stopped in to meet him and to get a bridge adjustment to my Mid-Mo. My only frame of reference are old posts about him, and I can say he is just as friendly, generous, and funny as people have mentioned over the years. I don't think his hound, Oliver, has ever met a stranger. Mike said business was good and his shop looked busy. Cheers. adam
  8. MrMoe
    Martin Jonas -
    Thanks Martin, We have also enjoyed your tunes. I was privileged to have been able to visit Scotland once, very memorable. I will check the archives for your multi track audio contributions looking for your two Mid-Mo`s together.
    Maurice
  9. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    That's awesome @ago. I only live a couple hours west, and haven't stopped by. I need to sometime!
  10. ago
    ago
    Hey Dave, he is no more than a mile off his exit on I-70. Easy ride from KC. I was going from Denver to Atlanta, so it was a nice rest stop.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Maurice. Here are three old duet recordings of the two Mid-Mos together. The first one has a set of photos of the octave:

Martin
  12. MrMoe
    So lovely. Thank you for sharing. A very refreshing escape and departure from the ugliness in America right now. Best Regards, Maurice
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Maurice, also for your kind comments on Youtube.

I guess I should put this recording here as well -- no OM but double-tracked Mid-Mo mandolin. This is Inisheer:

Martin
  14. MrMoe
    The Mid Mo`s do record very nicely. Thanks for sharing. Maurice
  15. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Maurice.

Forgot about this one from a couple of months ago: solo OM playing a Swedish waltz by Ale Moeller:

Martin