L'inconnu de Limoise

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    L'inconnu de Limoise (Jean-François "Maxou" Heintzen)

This is a French mazurka, written by J.F. Heintzen. The title comes from his home village of Limoise in Auvergne -- almost exactly in the geographical centre of France -- inspired by the discovery during works at the village cemetary of a body buried with his bag pipes.

The tune appears to be mostly popular with players of various squeezeboxes (concertina and diatonic accordion), although Heintzen himself plays hurdy-gurdy and bagpipes.

I have played it as a trio of mandolin, octave mandolin and tenor guitar, based on an arrangement by Michel Van Der Meiren:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/...-de-limoise-tb

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Seeing as I live over here I thought I should at least post a couple of French tunes.
    Octave mandolin on this one, expertly backed up by a little ukulele.
    And yes, today is the coldest so far so I’m sitting on the electric radiator, playing music at the same time.
    Hope you guys enjoy this.

3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon - it sounds very good on your octave. I just played through the sheet music I found online – nice tune.

Martin – nice find. This trio arrangement works great like you recoded it in 2014.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice Simon. I thought I heard a uke in the background - I was on YT before coming here. Do they turn the heat on in your building ? I know this song, I've played this song...but I don't think I ever recorded it. Nice playing.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny I wondered if the ukulele volume wasn’t high enough.

No I live in a medieval stone floor building in an apartment partly above an alley way, partly above Ye Olde Tavern.
    Weather here freezing now, and the people from the Tavern have fled. It’s shut down, no heating, because these sensitive folk over here can’t handle a little bit of plague. (It’s actually really bad, I met a neighbour who had it for two weeks, almost died in her apartment alone, lost social ties, and is now completely psychologically broken. Tragic in fact).

But hey yooo! Keep those tunes coming!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Listening to you on headphones and the uke is audible, Simon, but could maybe come up a bit in the mix? But then, one man's uke is another man's....
    You give the tune a fine lift with your playing here. Nice version.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s the ukulele improved version:
    https://youtu.be/Q72b_3AQncY

And here’s one of my ‘lift’ secrets.
    I like to call this one ‘Play a hornpipe rhythm like John Carty in a couple of hours’
    -it works!

Pick pattern DU, DU, DU etc and you can set YT time button to X1.5

https://youtu.be/mtg3w7pmz_s
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s some .abc

X:1
    T:146. L'Inconnu de Limoise
    R:Mazurka
    C:Jean-François "Maxou" HEINTZEN (1957-)
    S:Trad. Magazine, Hors série "tablature1", 1995 / et www.diatojo.com
    D:K7 "petite suite bourbonnaise", AMTA NC016 (1991)
    P:AAB
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    Q:3/4=54
    K:C
    P:A
    G cd |: e2 ec fd | e3 e fg | f2 fe dc |1 d2 dG cd :|\
    [2 g3 e fg |:\
    P:B
    ab c'b ab | g3 f ed | cB cd ec | G2 c2 B2 |\
    A2 AB cd | c2 B2 A2 |1 B2 BA Bc | d3 e fg :|2 BA Bc de |c6 |]
    W:Il doit dormir, depuis tout ce temps
    w:Bien gentiment, sous trois pieds de terre
    w:V’là qu’on le dérange, impoliment
    w:Quelle drôle d’idée, d’changer d’cimetière
    w:Dedans sa tombe, tout contre sa tête
    w:On a trouvé son seul bagage
    w:Sa cornemuse, sa chère musette
    w:Qui accompagne son grand voyage

w:Car on n’a pas pu les séparer
    w:Et c’est peut-être beaucoup mieux ainsi
    w:On les a trouvés, ils dorment dans le même lit
    w:C’était peut-être pas un maître-sonneur
    w:Mais il aimait ce sacré bout de bois
    w:un peu comme une soeur que l’on veut garder près de soi

Also: https://thesession.org/tunes/6047
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The ukulele is also audible in your first video Simon, and the oktave mandolin sounds great!
    And thanks for bringing this old tune to new live!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Christian, yes it’s a lovely true story of some construction workers who were digging to build a new motorway.
    They found a shallow grave with a man’s remains in it and alongside the man they found his set of pipes.
    One of the lines of the lyrics expresses the man’s surprise to have been sleeping there peacefully for so long and suddenly, impolitely, be moved
    -for what good reason?
    It was an unmarked grave. The title of the song however, implies that the man was not simply unknown, but perhaps a stranger, a foreigner or someone who is somehow different from the others.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, for reviving this tune, Simon -- sounds great on the octave!

We've played this lots of times with our group since my original 2014 recording as it's a big favorite of some of our players. Here is a new recording as a simple mandolin and tenor guitar duet, omitting the harmony we normally use.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Just noticed that this tune was the official tune for Week #404, so this discussion should probably move here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...646&do=discuss

Martin