Sevani Tsgnorsner

1. Dusepo
    Dusepo
    Here's a traditional song in 7/8 from Armenia called Sevani Tsgnorsner (Fishermen of Lake Sevan). I was reccomended to post this here since you might like to have a go at it.

Here's my attempt:

And here's how it should sound.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting tune and time signature, Jo. I have been sitting listening and counting (or trying to count), especially in the second video. Thanks for posting.
  3. Dusepo
    Dusepo
    Here's another attempt with the 7/8 metronome in the background (you can hear I've figured out more of the tune now):

Apologies for my less than perfect timing etc. If I can get a certain program to work properly I might try and write this down as sheet music or tabs.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    First internet access for a while, I look forward to hearing this, thanks Dusepo - can’t see it yet because I’m on the Stanstead to Cambridge train UK, and the train server wont show youtube, but will hopefully be able to try this one over Christmas, my first ever 7/8 so enjoy! No mandolin though so it may be a fifths converted ukulele.
    Thanks again for getting me motivated to try this, Dusepo.
  5. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very interestimg! Is that a Domra? I've got a cheap Thomann Domra, that I havn't played in ages, but yours sounds much better.
  6. Dusepo
    Dusepo
    Here's an attempt I made at putting this to a score:
  7. Dusepo
    Dusepo
    Yes it's a Domra, mine is made by Hora in Romania.
    It's great to play. One day when I have time between customer orders I will launch my own domra model .
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sounds great Dusepo, well done.

This guy sounds like the Sam Bush of Armenian music!

I’m going to update notation here as edits:

X:1
    T:Sevani Tsgnorsner -rhythm1
    M: 5/8
    L: 1/8
    K:C
    |A,A A,A A,|:A, A A,A A,|A, A A,A A,|A, A A,A A,|A, A A,A A,|A, A A,A A,|A, A A,A A,|A, A A,A A,|A, A A,A A,:|

nb: -melody begins on 2nd note in the measure of the rhythm. (?)
    -mandolintab.net to convert to pdf

X:1
    T:Fishermen of Lake Sevan, Sevani Tsgnorsner
    T:George Mgrdichian version
    M: 5/8
    L: 1/8
    K:C
    E|:AA G AA/2A/2|EA B cc/2c/2 |d c ED e|dd/2d/2 c dd B c|cB Azz E:|
  9. Dusepo
    Dusepo
    Listening again, my notation and tabs above I think lacks an extra bar or two at the end - I think the section from bar 8 to the end repeats?

Also, here's a really nice version I came across by altering the spelling (I think eastern vs western Armenian pronounces the words slightly differently):