Week # 502 ~ Woodchopper’s Breakdown

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week’s winner is Woodchooper’s Breakdown, which was submitted as and Old Time tune.

I am posting this from my phone, so I would appreciate it someone could link to notation and videos!
  2. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Here are a couple I found on YouTube:

And for the octave lovers among us:

One final one:

and here is the abc notation from The Session:

X: 1
    T: The Woodchoppers
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    |DFAd B2A2|DFAd B2A2|A,CEG Aceg|agec AGFE|
    |DFAd B2A2|DFAd B2A2|A,CEG Acef|1 gece d2AF:|2 gece d2fg||
    |:afdB ABAF|DFAd f2ef|gecB Aefg|a^gab a2fg|
    afdB ABAF|DFAd f2ef|gecB Acef|1 gece d2fg:|2 gece d2AF||
  3. crisscross
    crisscross
    Here you can download sheet music and tablature and listen to play along tracks in various speeds:
    https://www.mandolessons.com/lessons...ers-breakdown/
    Well, Breakdowns are usually terribly fast, like for instance Foggy Mountain Breakdown.
    Too fast for my old fingers. That's why I slowed down Woodchopper's considerably and called it
    Woodchopper's Slowdown
    <em>
  4. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Nice slowdown crisscross. Played very well I might add. I often like tunes played slower.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice Crisscross, it’s like the soundtrack to a film about life in the Appalachians!
    There’s the donkey laden with a spade, axe and other provisions walking slowly up the trail.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice and clean. I support the idea of a Slowdown.
    For my part, I never play Bluegrass. I play the same dots and call it Slowgrass.
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thank you guys, for helping me with this! Hopefully, someday I’ll get back home to my computer where I can manage this group properly! Till then, though, I’m depending on y’all to keep up the good work!!
  8. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert, atsunrise and Frthjoff!
    No need to hurry, Barbara, we are glad to help out a bit.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great wee tune, and interesting to hear it in the slowed-down versions.
  10. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Excellent slowdown, Crisscross, sounds great!
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks John and JL!
  12. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    Sounding good so far- just needing a few more versions?

Finally, after 12 or 13 takes!
    I know it as a reel rather than a breakdown, so it's not silly fast, and there's less punctuation

Jim
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your submission, Njugglebreck. I’m happy that you played it not silly fast – only twice the speed of CC’s Slowdown. So you found time to throw in some nice triplets.
  14. crisscross
    crisscross
    WOW! That's the way a reel is supposed to sound!
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Njugglebreck. You inspired me to have a go at this one. Mandolin and acoustic guitar, and mandolin just had a new set of Martin strings yesterday!

It is one of those tunes that suits very different speeds, as we can hear from the postings here.

16. crisscross
    crisscross
    Wonderful playing and mandolin tone, John!
  17. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very fine playing, John. Apperantly effortles.
  18. Njugglebreck
    Njugglebreck
    That does sound impressive..... I really must start saving for a nicer instrument.....
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    My hands are really to slow to play a real reel. So obviously I can’t play any tune as a breakdown. But when I tried to play this traditional a little hornpipy it started to make fun.

I cheated a bit - put together a video and an audio (made the next day).
  20. crisscross
    crisscross
    No need to worry about speed, Frithiof! It's faster then my slowdown.
    And you included some nice triplet ornaments. Very hornpipey!
    Nice version!
  21. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I really liked it too Frithjof. I have had a hard time trying to get into this tune but as a hornpipe it is pretty cool!
  22. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for the kind words, Christian and Robert.
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The tune really suits that hornpipe rhythm, Frithjof. And it is not cheating to make your video as you have done. It can actually be tricky to sync the video you have made with the recording of the tune, listening to the recording and playing along as closely as you can as you video yourself. I speak from experience here! It is the anticipation of getting that first note right on time! whistling:
  24. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nice job by all wood-choppers....Robert I have your Three Owls finally !! done after my lesson today when I played it with my teacher.
  25. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Frithjof - I often do the video and audio separate too. I record the audio then feed it into the camera while I play along with the pre-recorded audio. I don't have syncing issues then. If I miss a note or the timing is a little off then it doesn't really show in the video.
    Ginny - Glad you are enjoying Three Owls.
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I was very uncertain about the result of my efforts all the more I’m happy with all your comments. Thanks again.

Every time interesting to read about the recoding experiences of other group members.