Mountains of Mourne

1. crisscross
    crisscross
    Another tune I first heard played by the duo labradornl:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdy...&start_radio=1
    I recorded this tune, made a video and uploaded it on Youtube.
    The sheetmusic is in the tunebook Martin linked for Rose of Tralee
    http://www.cmcadelaide.com/files/music/cmc.pdf
    When I had loadad up my version, Youtube proposed me a TradJazz-rendition by Chris Barber and Ottilie Patterson:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5bGpbDcXY
    I enjoyed that version so much, that this rainy afternoon, I sat down and tried to improvise a TradJazz solo for the second verse on my mandolin.
    Now, I don't have any expererience playing Jazzzlicks, so would you please be indulgent with me...
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Reeeeaaally nice CC.
    Got me inspired to at least try some jazz -in the safety of my own home, of course.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice -- the jazz break comes a bit as a gear change...

I also noticed that song in the Adelaide songbook and put it on the list of tunes to try out. Hasn't quite made it to the top yet, but maybe this will spur me on.

Martin
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Great two-part song. Liked both of them. One of my favourite tunes.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice improvisation!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    So, our resident waltz king has progressed through country tunes and is now improvising jazz solos on Irish airs! Just shows the power of the SAW group to bring out the creative juices in us all. Great try, CC.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That was fun to listen to, Christian.
  8. Leo37
    Leo37
    I like it too - a fine jazz waltz
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I listened to it, again... a few more times. I like it a lot.

I like that beforehand there are a couple of indications that something is going to happen, and then the sudden change. Sudden, partly because I’m not really used to it. It reminds me of mixing certain foods while cooking, one day it’s great, the next day I just want my porridge oats.
    -a nice change and it does make the piece very personal.
    Thanks.
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Folks! Maybe I should try to get into jazzy playing a little more seriously. A jazz solo can sound very nice.
    But on the other hand, working on that seems to be very time consuming and I probably rather practice some new tunes...
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I am reminded of the old tale of the difference between a country guitarist and a jazz guitarist, Christian. The former plays three chords to hundreds of people and the latter plays hundreds of chords to three people! Not that I would subscribe to this view at all!
  12. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    With mandolin and melodica hohner ... I am using a midi file as a backing track, but in these times of quarantine those small sins must be forgiven ...

13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Mandolin and melodica are well played by yourself and the chosen ore self-built backing track matches the tune – forgiven as far as I’m concerd.
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I have a melodica too Jairo - I really should use it more. Nice sound.
  15. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Ginny, you must spend a little time on the melodica, they all have different voices, beautiful voices. And contrary to what many think, it is not a toy. Also, how can it be a toy if it was invented by Germans?
  16. bbcee
    bbcee
    Super cool versions, CrissCross & Jairo! I really like the closed, mournful sound of your melodica, Jairo.
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well played, Jairo! Us Germans, we're all about working hard and playing hard. If it's a toy, it's certainly a good toy. Melodica is becoming fashionable around here. Ginny will be next!