Quiet Shores

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This tune is an original composition which arose from some photos I took a few days ago while walking along the west shore of Loch Eck near home. It was a beautiful day and there was nobody else around, and the tune began to form in my head while I was taking the pictures. Loch Eck was recently featured in the collaboration I did with Dennis for our Two Lochs video - it is within the recommended distance from my home during the current restrictions!

Recorded as usual with Rode NT-1A mic into REAPER on my old laptop, with the melody and harmony alternating between octave and mandolin. The backing is on my Lowden acoustic and a Yahama DGX-500 piano.

2. Alcluith
    Alcluith
    John, A lovely tune really catches the feeling of isolation when out walking.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice original, it goes well with the pictures of the lake.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice John. Such talent for a wee Scottish lad. Lovely harmony. By the times posted we must have been uploading at the exact time.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice John, bright and optimistic tune, thanks.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    There's something romantic about this tune, probably the sense of solitude in the vast landscape as others have said. Very nice, and flawlessly played as usual.
  7. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Congratulations on your fine playing and composition.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. I always feel so lucky to live in such a great area and have so much on my doorstep.
  9. Francis J
    Francis J
    Nice tune John, it has a sense of peaceful contentment in a beautiful setting. I keep seeing human forms in the old tree stumps, ghosts of times past, benevolent spirits, guarding the water. Thank you
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This has a Bavarian twang to it, with all the cosiness of a small cottage far away from breaking waves or breaking news. Lovely.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting, Francis - Ginny thought that the tree stump in the title shot reminded her of a water dragon! I walk along this lochside regularly and it can have so many different moods depending on weather, time of day and time of year. It is also the reservoir for our local water supply! Bertram, you respond with your usual wit and charming images! Thanks, both.
  12. Leo37
    Leo37
    Wonderful, John. I agree Bertram - it sounds like a Ländler to me. I remember Martin Jonas has recorded some.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Yes, this tune matches the Austrian Alps which I'm hiking these days.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Leo and Frithjof. Leo, you have added a new word to my vocabulary - Landler. Now I know a folk dance in 3/4 time!
    Frithjof, I remember driving with a friend through the Austrian Alps on my way to the Italian Dolomites in the very early 1970s when I was a keen rock climber. Now I will listen to my tune in a different mood from the quiet, gentle hills of my home area.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    ‘... I remember driving with a friend through the Austrian Alps on my way to the Italian Dolomites in the very early 1070s ...’

-John, you didn’t have cars in those days.

-though this sounds like the vid I did of a tune from 1746 using artwork from various countries in the seventeenth, eighteenth and twentieth centurys.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon, typos corrected. Thanks for highlighting them .
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    pity it was a typo, John. I liked to think of you hiring a trip with the Vikings who picked you up on the banks of the Clyde and rowed you all the way up the Danube, and that you look very young for your age